keto primal and intermittent fasting

Options
I'm wondering of those out there that are following the nutritional keto rules how many of you are also practicing intermittent fasting and how you find it?
Have you seen a lot of success with this?
I have found it's now naturally fitting into my life since becoming adapted to keto but would like to hear people's stories.If there are any of you out there.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Wow, your title describes me perfectly. And you already know my story. :wink:

I'm doing great, but my metabolic issues led me to change my macros again recently. 75 fat (trying for 80), 20 protein, 5 carb (trying for 2.5). Week days my IF is 18/6. Weekends it can be the same or as low as 20/2.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    oops, I meant 22/2... too late to edit.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    perhaps we are the only two?
    let me ask this,would like to hear stories from women who are primal/paleo and fast.
    How is it working for you from a mental,health and weight loss perspective?What about working out?Heavy lifting and IF?
    It's really women I want to hear from as men lose differently and IF is different for men as well.
    There is a lot of talk that IF is not the best for women as it can play around with hormonal balance.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Keto Whole30 right now. I've done IF in the past, but I'm not right now. Sorry, I can't be much help, but I'd like to see if anyone else comments on here.
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I am paleo and i do IF.. I just started being stricter with paleo but have been eating clean for a while.

I have been IF for 9 months now and I try to lift heavy. I workout three times a week - all weights sessions. Sometimes i do a 4th session but that would be a home workout.

I love IF and Paleo. I think they go hand in hand.

IF is just so convenient, i dont have to *kitten* around and make breakfast of a morning. I workout at 6.30pm so my largest meal is my post workout meal at night. I love it!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    bump..seeing if there are any other comments about this subject
  • rachyk76
    rachyk76 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I started Paleo approx 4 weeks after I relapsed for approx 6 mths! Prior to that period I lost 2stone with paleo/primal and sadly quickly gained it all back :-( however this time round I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! As far as I know I'm doing the same as before...... It's just not working! I have only lost 8lb!! I completed my first 24 hour fast last week and found it easy! I think I'm in danger of under eating because I just don't feel hungry!! So some days I'm only having two meals!
    My fat is generally 50% and above and protein is approx 40-50% and carbs are minimal!
    I've been using the exercise bike approx 4 times per week 30 mins each time! Squats sit ups and press ups.

I am 36, 5ft 7 and 13 stone 11lbs ( would like to be 12stone)

Rachael
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I would say 8lbs in 4 weeks is quite good!Make sure to measure your body all over and compare your measurements.Do not become a slave to the scale.I have only lost 2lbs in the past month but I have lost about 8.5 inches.
    It takes time.Also,look at your macros..I eat very high fat(65-75%of my calls)protein is 20-25% and carbs are set at 5%.This is what works for me but everyone is different.
    I am doing 16-8 of fasting but not everyday..sometimes I feel the need to eat as soon as I get up and as I listen to my body,I do just that.
    It will all come together,be patient with yourself
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did paleo keto for a good while basically to drop a fair bit of weight fast, however I got to a healthy bmi and now just want to be healthy and keto doesn't allow enough veg for me so back to usually paleo( primal actually). I IF every now and then usually a 24 hour fast once a fortnight, just because its good for me. Seeing good results from it.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I did paleo keto for a good while basically to drop a fair bit of weight fast, however I got to a healthy bmi and now just want to be healthy and keto doesn't allow enough veg for me so back to usually paleo( primal actually). I IF every now and then usually a 24 hour fast once a fortnight, just because its good for me. Seeing good results from it.
    How has it been for you adding in more carbs?Have you increased them by a large amount?
  • ukgirly01
    Options
    How has it been for you adding in more carbs?Have you increased them by a large amount?

It's been great to be honest, I still eat paleo so the carbs come from veg and fruit, I stalled weightloss for about 3 weeks but lost fairly consistently after that, and my lifting/ running has been a lot easier too. Keto was great and I'm sure I'll do it again from time to time but I never felt I was eating enough vitamins.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi ukgirly01 - if you track I'm curious how many carbs your talking about? During the week mine usually come in around 100g a day from fruit and veg, but on weekends I have a cheat breakfast here and there and it goes up. I've been finding my lifting and running hard and have been wondering if I need to increase my carbs with more banana's, sweet potato etc

• tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been primal (cow milk & cheese intolerant but have cow/goat/sheep yoghurt) since last July.
    I've played around in the past with primal keto and IF - but I have actually just started combining the two. This was kick-started by increased sugar cravings due to stress which led to manic eating of Quest bars on Tuesday and then, having decided to cut out sweet tasting foods, a nut binge on Wednesday which re-started the IFing!
    I have trouble managing binging due to a history of disorded eating. For me binging (usually just on primal food) is triggered by stress and increased eating of sweet tasting foods like fruit.
    I have found that keto really helps reduce cravings and constant need to snack. I also THINK that IF helps because it I can just tell myself to forget about food for a while and focus on something else.. still figuring it out though. The last few days I've been eating in a 5-7hr window and going to see how this goes!
  • ukgirly01
    Options
    Hi ukgirly01 - if you track I'm curious how many carbs your talking about? During the week mine usually come in around 100g a day from fruit and veg, but on weekends I have a cheat breakfast here and there and it goes up. I've been finding my lifting and running hard and have been wondering if I need to increase my carbs with more banana's, sweet potato etc

My usual carbs are around 100, I have primal shake most mornings for breakfast but on lifting days I pop in a frozen banana to boost it- haven't found the lifting a problem- I prob fall off the wagon around one every 3 weeks and have mashed potato it's something I'd rather stop tbh and working towards that. If you're struggling eat some sweet pots of some fruit on lifting days. See if that helps
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Hello! I've been primal (cow milk & cheese intolerant but have cow/goat/sheep yoghurt) since last July.
    I've played around in the past with primal keto and IF - but I have actually just started combining the two. This was kick-started by increased sugar cravings due to stress which led to manic eating of Quest bars on Tuesday and then, having decided to cut out sweet tasting foods, a nut binge on Wednesday which re-started the IFing!
    I have trouble managing binging due to a history of disorded eating. For me binging (usually just on primal food) is triggered by stress and increased eating of sweet tasting foods like fruit.
    I have found that keto really helps reduce cravings and constant need to snack. I also THINK that IF helps because it I can just tell myself to forget about food for a while and focus on something else.. still figuring it out though. The last few days I've been eating in a 5-7hr window and going to see how this goes!
    I have had issues with sugar binges as well but since switching to keto primal I have yet to have any cravings.I have held chocolate in my hands,scooped hagen das vanilla ice cream and there is not even a twinge of desire.I have NEVER experienced this in my life..EVER!It's so surreal.I can say it's been from keeping my fat at about 70-75% and carbs around 5%(usually 20-25 grams per day).
    I am not as concerned about the weight loss,I am more pleased to finally have beaten my cravings.I think I could easily eat like this for a lifetime.
    I am also now able to have berries as long as they are with fat..I never thought I would be able to eat any fruit again.
    I hope the binging is helped by keto and IF and that you feel the benefits of the fat.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight oh so slowly; 1/2kg per month (about 1lb) so I am trying fat fasting. I basically have a tablespoon of oil (coconut or olive) for breakfast and again for lunch and maybe a few nuts, then I eat a normal, primal dinner. I did this twice per week and it worked; I lost 1, 1/2kgm last month but then went on holidays and put a kilo back on. The reason for the fat is that I have read that it is better for women to not completely fast. Something to do with hormones and women being adapted to gathering and nibbling as they go. The other reason is that I have gravel in my bile duct and I want to keep the bile flowing.
    Anyone else fat fasting?
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Every one I know who has done keto (less than 25grams of carbs per day) has lost significant weight. But none of these people including myself have continued to eat that low carb. It is too restricting.
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello

I went paleo a while back due to allergies/intolerances and I found the weight really dropped off when I cut back on fruit (I think I have fructose malabsorption). Eating only vegetables that are low in fructose means that in practice I eat about 20g of carbs, and the weight has come off really easy since then. I went from 184lbs to about 168lbs in three or four weeks, eating very well and whenever I wanted, with no real hunger or stress. I also lost a lost of bloating and inflammation and stopped having tummy pains from the bloating.

The keto paleo is really good at cutting back on cravings. My husband still eats dark chocolate occasionally and lately when he has asked me if I want a bit I have been able to refuse easily.

Don't do structured intermittant fasting, but I don't eat if I am not hungry. Sometimes I am hungry 2 or 3 hours after eating, especially if I eat fish as my protein source. If I have been well fed for a few days, or have eaten a lot of red meat (a roast or a big steak) it can sometimes be a whole day until I am hungry again. Lost another ten pounds in about a month since I learned not to force myself to eat at mealtimes for the sake of structure. Equally though, if I am hungry, I eat I don't wait.