Auxillary Workouts

Options
So. There always comes a point where you start feeling like Stronglifts is not enough or you are missing a couple of workouts that would enhance the program. Does anyone else do other resistance training alongside stronglifts? Say when you start stalling on the bench do you try strengthening yours arms to get over the hump? Originally the Stronglifts program had two additional workouts that Mehdi took out. At the end of each session you would do three sets of push ups and three sets of abdominal workouts that consisted of putting a ball between the ankles and bringing it back behind your head. Can't remember the proper name of the workout. Sorry about that.

The push up part started off with you doing 3x5. Then with each workout you would add one push up until you reached 3x15 or 3x20. Then to further progress you started adding weights to the push ups. Starting off with a five pound plate and increasing the weight each time. I can remember doing push ups with a 45lb plate on my back and I can remember how much of a difference it use to make. I plan on starting them back up again to help strengthen the arms, shoulders, and back to better enhance 5x5.

Replies

• tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started with StrongLifts in Feb 2012 and then shortly after that I bought Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book. I kept the SL 5x5 format, but did Power Cleans instead of the Barbell Rows. I was doing the Cleans 5x5 until the weight got heavy and I started failing reps. Later, I learned that Rippetoe recommends 5 sets of 3 reps for the Power Clean.

This past February I had to change gyms and the new one does not have a lifting platform like the old one did. So now I am doing Hang Snatches instead of the Power Clean. Rippetoe recommends sets of 2 for the snatch. I haven't yet failed on the snatch, but I don't intend to drop the bar as I don't want to reimburse the gym for a floor repair.

I have also added chin-ups and pull-ups on alternate workouts. I had to start out on the Assist machine. I can now do unassisted chin-ups and I am down to 20 lbs on the assist machine for pull-ups.

And I do dips every workout now. Again, I had to start out on the Assist machine. Now I can do weighted dips.

With warm up sets for the barbell lifts and the extra exercises, I am spending about two hours for each workout. I have also had to cut back to 3 sets of 5 for everything except the snatch which is still 5 sets of 2 reps. Currently, I only lift on Monday & Thursday as this old man needs more time for recovery.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey fellas, i have been doing 5x5 for a while now but had some issues and had to basically start from scratch for bench and overhead, i also do bent rows instead of pedlay rows. I have fooled around with the off days a good bit but have settled for the following. Su-W-F 5x5, T-Th Arms routine, M-T-Th-S walk at least 4 miles, Su-W-F Elliptical 15 to 30 mins. I am thinking of adding M-W-F Push Ups & Pull Ups using a progressive app in evenings as i workout at 4 or 5AM and often feel the need to do something other than sit around in evenings.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do a 5x5 program (not exactly the same as Stronglifts but the same idea) and generally run between workouts. If I feel particularly gassed I take a day off Generally ends up being 5 workouts a week. Sometimes 3 weights 2 cardio, sometimes reversed.

If the weight program doesn't take too much out of me (I usually feel pretty energized afterwards) I'll bang off 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Just depends on what your body can handle. I keep adding distance/intensity to the cardio and have not had a problem yet.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Hey fellas, i have been doing 5x5 for a while now but had some issues and had to basically start from scratch for bench and overhead, i also do bent rows instead of pedlay rows. I have fooled around with the off days a good bit but have settled for the following. Su-W-F 5x5, T-Th Arms routine, M-T-Th-S walk at least 4 miles, Su-W-F Elliptical 15 to 30 mins. I am thinking of adding M-W-F Push Ups & Pull Ups using a progressive app in evenings as i workout at 4 or 5AM and often feel the need to do something other than sit around in evenings.
    I think you need some rest days. If you want to add an arm workout and/or push/pull ups, add it to your 5x5 days. If you're restless on rest days, just do cardio.