New to Group

Options
It's awesome to find a group like this. I find it hard to talk about fitness and my overall feelings to other women who see me and assume I'm full of myself. I want to be able to feel comfortable talking about my concerns without the looks of "whatever". I'm 5'2 but I round myself up to 5'3, weigh 114. I don't want to be just thin. I want to look healthy!

Replies

• overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You seem like you are in very good shape - sounds like others are a bit oversensitive, or plain jealous. That being said, I'm sure there is a good of people with a shared interest of fitness that would be happy to talk about it.

Maybe just avoid the conversation (since it seems to be upsetting to some) with certain people and have those conversations only to places where they are welcome. When I talk about losing weight, I get comments like "oh no, you are perfect!" or "you don't need to diet, you are small already!" - but they don't know what my body looks like at all (I've got 10-15 lbs of visible chunk). So I only mention weight to my coworkers who are also dieting / working out.
  • sundaybeachday
    Options
    I completely agree!
    I also get the looks and the comments, and unfortunately, they are usually from people that need to lose a lot more than I do, and they usually aren't people that know me very well.
    Since I'm a shorty, it's very hard for me to look LEAN. I have a small, athletic build.

This group has me very excited and optimistic, because there's a lot of positivity on here. One thing I'm not looking for are friends that just want to complain about their weight and not actually DO anything about it.

I have been doing 1 20-30 minute workout a day and I'm willing to try to up it to 2 workouts.
    I need some extra motivation to get up early - I think that's where I can really get it done.....any helpful tips on dragging my butt outta bed early? I work at home and I can make my own schedule, which can be good or bad!

Thanks!
    Tanya
  • LovesTheSeasons
    LovesTheSeasons Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Many here are interested in talking about fitness. what is your favorite way to work out?

Tanya, per your comment about morning workouts--- for me, It is a lifestyle change to go to bed most nights early so I can get up early and not become sleep deprived. Otherwise, I usually visualize, the night before, myself getting up early --- like a amino pep talk the night before. I also have my alarm far enough away from bed that I have to get up to go turn it off. I also do classes since i have to only get myself to gum. Hope that helps.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and I totally understand! Just because you're already healthy and comparatively "in shape" doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement!
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i hear ya! i try really hard not to mention diets/food/my progress with others because a) they don't care, and b) it does make me seem obsessed with myself, and i don't want to seem like i'm fishing for compliments/reassurance. that being said, i spend hours a day on this 'hobby' so it is nice to be able to talk about it with people who care, if only for the fact that they're spending time on the same 'hobby'.

Welcome to MFP. I really like that there's a group for us 'not that heavy' girls!
  • luticiaf
    Options
    Welcome, and I totally understand! Just because you're already healthy and comparatively "in shape" doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement!

exactly:)
  • luticiaf
    Options

I need some extra motivation to get up early - I think that's where I can really get it done.....any helpful tips on dragging my butt outta bed early? I work at home and I can make my own schedule, which can be good or bad!

Thanks!
    Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I agree with LovesTheSeason, it is a lifestyle change in that you have to prepare (ie go to bed earlier, have your gear ready, etc.) to make it happen. i work m-f and have kids, so i do early mornings (5:45) before anyone gets up. in order to do this, i have my workout clothes in the hall, shoes in my workout space, ipad ready to go, and preferrably a glass of water waiting for me. that way i know that everything is prepped, all that's missing is... me!

i never thought i could do early mornings, but once i started, and saw how convenient it was to get that out of the way, i loved it! no one can bother me, i get to focus, and i know whether or not i can 'treat' myself, as there's no risk in me taking the cookie, and not working out that night.

also, this sounds lame, but the 'just do it' mantra works. don't think about it, don't think about how nice sleeping in would be, don't think of it as an option. this is what you're going to do, so just do it.

i bet once you get started, you'll love it in time!