Stuffing substitute?

Options
PitBullMom_Liz
PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
So I got some venison pieces/parts from a friend for my dog, but he also gave me a fawn heart for me to eat (I don't know want to know how/why he killed a fawn). He said it would be amazing if I sliced it thin and rolled it into spirals with stuffing and pan fried it. Obviously stuffing is a no go, but I do want to try it. I've never tried offal before and it seems like this may be a good way to do so. He was raving about it. So any other ideas on stuffing materials for it? Spinach and feta? Or should I prepare it another way?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Actually killing the fawn is best because the mother is already a successfully breeding animal and will have another fawn next year. Whereas the fawn will not be a breeder for some time, and may never breed. No biggie. During the spring caribou hunt here some of the animals are pregnant, but the fawn is still eaten. Nothing is wasted. I know that it's hard for us mothers to wrap our mind around it, but it's natural and not "bad". It's life-giving food.

Heart is lean muscle and it's pretty good. I would just fry it in lard or butter myself. However, a stuffing could be made with almond flour, spices, etc? Spinach and feta sounds good; no idea how it would go with heart; but how could it possibly be bad?

You are especially lucky to be trying a fawn heart for the first time having heart. Large beef hearts aren't my favourite.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the one I used at Thanksgiving it was delicious, but do a google search. Some of them will be sausage stuffing, but there are a few that have paleo bread (usually flaxseed that I've seen).
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used a stuffing recipie off paleoomg it was awesome uses mushrooms as main, also uses sweet potato and egg, I add a few more spices to make it smell more like stuffing when I fried the onions and celery (not sure if celery was originally in but I added it as we alway have it in, added lots of poultry seasoning and such).

here is one I found http://paleomg.com/paleo-thanksgiving-stuffing/

here is another from her slighty different and I think this is the one I used with a few modifications. http://paleomg.com/thanksgiving-caramelized-onion-sausage-stuffing/
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The only stuffing I ever make is a sausage, apple and onion stuffing with sage. Very simple. Just adjust the ingredients to how much you want of each.