Um... Thanks??? Unsolicited Stay Away From CrossFit Advice

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
I just received some spam from someone telling me that CrossFit is bad for us. I'm not sure if this unsolicited advice came with an expectation that I would thank the sender... I suppose they felt they were doing their public service by helping me see the error of my ways...?

I do realize there are a lot of injuries associated with CrossFit, but I've run races (marathons, halfs) for 7 years now and there are a lot of injuries associated with that as well. And with other sports. Each domain has it's fair share of people who hurt themselves and those who continue to aggravate self-inflicted injuries. In fact, I find the runners of my last two running groups to be more cultish and self-injurious than anyone I met at CrossFit. Of course, that could be sour grapes speaking because I was too large and ran too slowly to fit in with those groups, lol. But both groups were permeated with that "I like to feel pain because it makes me feel alive" theme echoed in many Runners World articles. So CrossFit doesn't corner the market on dumb people who insist on injuring themselves.

The key is to listen to your body. To honor it when it tells you back off so its own miraculous healing processes can work and get you back out there at full speed quicker than if you kept re-injuring yourself. To rest when needed so that inflammation in your body doesn't hinder your hard work from being effective.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I too received a "helpful note" from Health_Gal (?) Totally offensive. I'd like to report this individual to MFP. I feel harassed based on her unsolicited and unwelcome messaging.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Hahaha! I was just logging in to discuss this.

She is CrossFit's version of the Westboro Baptist Church.

I felt a strong urge to tell her, "Chile, please. Mind your own business!" but don't want to think her opinion means even that much to me as to warrant a response. She's such a non-factor.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've gotten the same message, and I've heard this same old song from other people. My main response is, "Have you ever tried Crossfit?" They always say no. How can you judge something if you aren't even willing to give it a try?

And I agree with the OP... all fitness plans come with risk of injury. Crosffit isn't the problem. People who go too hard, too fast, or quit listening to their bodies are in for possible injury. You can find those people at Crossfit, Yoga, Zumba, Gold's Gym, etc.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here was my response to this individual (loved the analogy to WBC)
    Your comments are unsolicited and unwelcome. I responded to someone's inquiry about Cross-Fit and gave an honest response about my experience, especially as related to the Keto diet. How / why you construed this to me wanting your very-biased opinion about Cross-Fit, I have no idea.

You have no idea about MY experience with Cross-Fit, and the training level of the staff at the Cross-Fit I go to, and the focus on safety and scaling that goes on there.

I have seen your comments in MFP posts related to Cross-Fit. You certainly have a biased agenda against Cross-Fit and seem to have made it your mission to bad-mouth Cross-Fit wherever you can.

I can find articles about ANY exercise and risk of injuries, so that really isn't the basis for an argument either.
    Running: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/runninginjury.htm
    Walking: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/solutions-10-biggest-walking-pains
    Your Precious Bootcamp: http://fitmontclair.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/bootcamp-bootcant-or-why-group-exercise-classes-are-really-group-injury/

Please keep your unwanted opinions to yourself and mind your own business. You do not know what you are talking about.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Good one, Kiramaniac!

I blocked her silly butt too, BTW.
  • Murphy9206
    Murphy9206 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Funny I did not get anything but I was warned about that type of thing when I made a post on the regular board. The person was nice enough to let me know that not "everyone" thinks crossfit is good and that coming to this group is a better idea.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten a message from her yet, but she is legendary. Any work out you do can lead to injury so she can just shut it I support anyone working regardless of what exercise they are doing
  • Tamurken
    Tamurken Posts: 14
    Options
    Yo I totally got that msg my 1st day joining MFP from health_gal. I immediately wrote on the board "NIX DOES CROSSFIT"
    Anybody else get that weird message from Heath_girl to not to Crossfit? Seemed like spam or a virus trying to make me go to a link! I didn't click it!

Then immediately I received an email that says "I AM NOT A VIRUS" from her. I wrote back "SMELLS LIKE A VIRUS" and blocked her.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten a message from her yet, but she is legendary. Any work out you do can lead to injury so she can just shut it I support anyone working regardless of what exercise they are doing

Oh hunny, she'll find you.. She's the most annoying person I have EVER come across... I don't get people that bash something they've never done before and don't understand. And the stereotyping of crossfitters is just :noway: :noway: :noway:.. Not just her btw. :ohwell:
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    She spams ALL posts in the general exercise section with people that are asking general advice about crossfit. She will discourage them all to not go.

Yea I tore my ACL at Crossfit last month doing lateral jumps. But hey, I tore the other ACL 10 years ago playing hockey. Stuff is gonna happen......people will jump out of planes, go bungee jumping and work as a window washer on a skyscraper, then go home and trip over the front step and break their face. Whatever you know? lol
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I've also gotten the anti-crossfit message from her. Happened within a day or so of my first crossfit post. It's like she's looking for us!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I got the same message and told her to F Off and blocked her a**.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I got the same message and told her to F Off and blocked her a**.

^^^ This was also my response to her the SECOND time she emailed me.^^^^
    Although I think I told her to F herself. :laugh:

I was nice the first time! I promise! :blushing:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have seen this also! Did she send you all the same (very old) NY Times article?
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I knew exactly who this was in reference to as soon as I saw the thread title.

I've yet to be "blessed" with a message from her.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I knew exactly who this was in reference to as soon as I saw the thread title.

I've yet to be "blessed" with a message from her.

Haha me too... and I have also yet to receive anything from her. Probably because I called her an idiot in the forums and said if I didn't want to get hurt I should probably just stay in my house for the rest of my life.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to go post a "new to crossfit" post on the forums now.....
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Me too!!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Got it! My favorite part was where the told me to quit CF and join the Y because they had a safer trainer/athlete ratio. I do both CF and Y classes. My CF workouts can be 2:1 (Yep, 2 trainers + me!) up to 2:10. My Y class is consistently 1:25-1:30.

I talked to a lot of folks before starting CF, mostly because I'm older and was worried about my ability to do the workouts. Every negative comment began with "Well, I've never tried it, but I hear it's too dangerous, etc.".
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Me too!!

LOL you guys will lure her out immediately.