Um... Thanks??? Unsolicited Stay Away From CrossFit Advice

Options

Replies

• julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Btw, I got the same "addiction" message today too.
  • quirkyone1
    quirkyone1 Posts: 78
    Options
    She is just trying to save us all. We all need help. :huh:
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Why has she not emailed me? I don't feel special clearly I'm not crossfitting enough to get her attention.
  • Melissaf0925
    Melissaf0925 Posts: 110
    Options
    Why has she not emailed me? I don't feel special clearly I'm not crossfitting enough to get her attention.
    Drink more Kool-AID! lol.
  • Melissaf0925
    Options
    I just got a message from her. This was my reply:

"Thank you very much for your "concern" about my "addiction" to Crossfit. As someone who finally quit smoking after 21 YEARS, and was finally able to go off large amounts of heart medicines with some very nasty side effects (as per my Cardiologist's direction) thanks to the physical and emotional benefits of Crossfit, I do not see myself leaving people who have become my my family.

However, I must say, as a FORMER HEROIN ADDICT WHO IS COMPLETELY ****ING AWARE OF WHAT ADDICTION TRULY IS (come talk to me when you are throwing up and shaking, wishing you had just ****ing taken the EASY route and killed yourself, for FIVE DAYS from withdraw), you have a lot of ****ing NERVE to send me a message urging me to drop an "addiction" to the ONLY form of exercise I have every truly enjoyed or stuck with for more than a few weeks. Anyone in Crossfit who has a coach who is worth a damn is COMPLETELY aware of the dangers of rhabdo (which you can get from ANY SPORT OR WORK OUT) and we are also completely aware of where our ****ing limits are. We WILL tell each other when we think we or someone else needs a break. Why? Because at MY BOX we are a family, and family protect one another!

Have a nice day, and please... Do NOT contact me again. "

*standing ovation*
    *takes bow* I am the queen of the nicely worded (I did completely degrade in the 2nd paragraph) **** off email.

She is right on CF being dangerous! I just inhaled my coffee by accident and my abs & ribs hurt so much (I hate day 2 muscle aches, thank god tomorrow is a full rest day) I can't even cough right! hahahaha!
  • YED33
    YED33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    She just got me too! Im just gonna block her. Im looking for the best ways to log my Crossfit workouts in the exercise section. Anyone have any advice?
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Im looking for the best ways to log my Crossfit workouts in the exercise section. Anyone have any advice?

Most of us either log it as "Circuit Training, general" (an MFP pre-made category) or added "CrossFit" as an exercise itself under Cardiovascular.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Im looking for the best ways to log my Crossfit workouts in the exercise section. Anyone have any advice?

I log it using Calisthenics. Wikipedia identifies the following as being common calisthenics exercises: Lunges, Jumping Jacks, Sit Ups, Crunches, Push Ups, Pull Ups, Squats, Calf Raises, Dips, Flutter Kicks, Planks.
  • quirkyone1
    quirkyone1 Posts: 78
    Options
    She just got me too! Im just gonna block her. Im looking for the best ways to log my Crossfit workouts in the exercise section. Anyone have any advice?

I don't log exercise. I calculated my TDEE - 20% and I eat that everyday (sometimes slightly higher on WOD days and lower on rest days).
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just got a message from her. This was my reply:

"Thank you very much for your "concern" about my "addiction" to Crossfit. As someone who finally quit smoking after 21 YEARS, and was finally able to go off large amounts of heart medicines with some very nasty side effects (as per my Cardiologist's direction) thanks to the physical and emotional benefits of Crossfit, I do not see myself leaving people who have become my my family.

However, I must say, as a FORMER HEROIN ADDICT WHO IS COMPLETELY ****ING AWARE OF WHAT ADDICTION TRULY IS (come talk to me when you are throwing up and shaking, wishing you had just ****ing taken the EASY route and killed yourself, for FIVE DAYS from withdraw), you have a lot of ****ing NERVE to send me a message urging me to drop an "addiction" to the ONLY form of exercise I have every truly enjoyed or stuck with for more than a few weeks. Anyone in Crossfit who has a coach who is worth a damn is COMPLETELY aware of the dangers of rhabdo (which you can get from ANY SPORT OR WORK OUT) and we are also completely aware of where our ****ing limits are. We WILL tell each other when we think we or someone else needs a break. Why? Because at MY BOX we are a family, and family protect one another!

Have a nice day, and please... Do NOT contact me again. "
    this is amazing!!

now i wanna bait her w/ some crossfit posts in the general forum.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I knew before I clicked on the topic who you were going to be talking about! I too have been Health_Gal-ed, I have also had several debates with her on crossfit topics, she is epic!

She seems to feel that you can get hurt doing crossfit, to which I replied, "you can get hurt crossing the street or doing dishes"....

My boys play hockey and football, should I make them stop playing sports because they "might" get hurt!!

She needs to go enjoy her Y workouts and leave the rest of us alone! Report her!!
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just got Health_Gal'd twice! Blocked.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling completely left out!!! I don't think I've ever looked forward to getting unsolicited advice more in my life! Time to go posting in the main boards...

:tongue:
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I had a very nice reply when I reported her. Perhaps if there are enough complaints, MFP will take permanent action.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I can't believe there's a CrossFit thread currently in the Fitness forum and she hasn't started proselytizing!! Maybe she's seen our recent posts outing her as a spammer and has decided to tone down her protesting. ;)

I'd actually like to see if/how she'd address the complaints against her.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I just got Health_Gal'd about my post on torn up hands. I was almost starting to feel left out!

Apparently crossfit is too extreme for me, cause she knows what is best for everyone .....***ahem sarcasm!
  • zarabeythe
    zarabeythe Posts: 10
    Options
    I posted one post regarding crossfit (about my 3rd newbie workout) And got an unsolicited 'advice' message as well from this chick. Glad to see I'm in good company! Glad we already have a group. HAHA

I'm just starting my crossfit journey. I have a long way to go, but I'm going and I"m doing the work to get where I want to be and I love the encouragement, the support, and the ability to go there and be pushed to be better and do better. Yeah, I guess I drank the kool-aid :p
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just got Health_Gal'd about my post on torn up hands. I was almost starting to feel left out!

Apparently crossfit is too extreme for me, cause she knows what is best for everyone .....***ahem sarcasm!
    But wasn't that post in this group?...
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got health_gal'd about my response to ripped hands...maybe she's now stalking crossfit groups. It seems like such a weird way to spend your time!
  • Melissaf0925
    Options
    Yeah I got health_gal'd about my response to ripped hands...maybe she's now stalking crossfit groups. It seems like such a weird way to spend your time!

There is a weird backlash against Crossfit going on. I guess it is a very "bro" culture (its not "right" for girls to lift weights) and people don't understand it. Personally I ran into more of a "*****" culture at a regular gym than I do my box.

There was something on Jezabel (http://jezebel.com/this-is-what-happens-if-you-question-crossfits-tough-493110075) about a CF class and a LOT of the comments by female crossfitters missed the point of the "girls" and the heroes. I actually laughed out loud at the one comment that said all Heroes are male. Um... no. I've done Victoria, and a couple others who were FEMALE soldiers who were KIA.