how to calculate fat, carb, sugar & fat on mfp

Options
hi im new on paleo, im 5'6 and 175lbs, i start the paleo a week ago, feel amazing so far, just very confuse about how much sugar from fruit is allow, need to know how much protein, fat,carb and sugar daily to put on mfp...,
basically my food is:
breakfast; 2 eggs with spinach and avocado on the side,
lunch; chicken breast with steamed zucchini or broccoli
dinner; mushrooms with salmon fish in the oven
snack; apple, banana, seeds, nuts (no peanut)
8-10 cups of plain water, i gave up on coffee,
is it ok? i'm missing something?
if im eating apple everyday is good? thank and good to be here :)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There's not necessarily a limit on fruit, but it is my opinion that it should be limited for many people. For instance, I cannot eat half of a banana or I struggle with hunger/cravings/binging for up to a week, but I can eat half of a cup of berries. Right now, I'm not eating fruit at all in an effort to heal my metabolic issues. I didn't realize that it would take years to heal, rather than months. :(

If you can eat the fruit and don't struggle with hunger, resistance to weight loss, etc then it's likely fine for you. However, for me, I agree that my body wasn't meant to be eating fruit very often or in large amounts. It sounds like you are doing very well. :flowerforyou:
  • illay16
    illay16 Posts: 2
    Options
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Paleo (only about 6 weeks), but I haven't seen any substantial loss on the scale (5 lbs). I figured I must be doing something wrong so I looked Paleo up on here and found this post. I had my ratios set to 45% carbs (all veg), 30% protein, and 25% fat because my understanding was to have all three be in a sort of equilibrium/balance. Thanks for clarifying this for me! I've reset my ratio in my goals to 20% carbs, 65%fat and 15% protein. I had my meals planned around my old ratios so now I've got to readdress everything. This is so overwhelming to me!
    My question is: shouldn't veg be unlimited? Do you find that you're going over on your carbs with only a 20% allotment?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Paleo (only about 6 weeks), but I haven't seen any substantial loss on the scale (5 lbs). I figured I must be doing something wrong so I looked Paleo up on here and found this post. I had my ratios set to 45% carbs (all veg), 30% protein, and 25% fat because my understanding was to have all three be in a sort of equilibrium/balance. Thanks for clarifying this for me! I've reset my ratio in my goals to 20% carbs, 65%fat and 15% protein. I had my meals planned around my old ratios so now I've got to readdress everything. This is so overwhelming to me!
    My question is: shouldn't veg be unlimited? Do you find that you're going over on your carbs with only a 20% allotment?

Green leafy vegetables can be unlimited no problem. But there is no need to eat tons of food when eating enough fat. No more need to "fill up" which doesn't really work anyway. I do limit my vegetables, especially for ones with higher sugar. I also limit nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, etc).

Yes, your carbs were pretty high. Assuming that you have weight to lose, then eating to address metabolic issues is necessary. That means lower carbs, higher fat. Fat is our friend. I'm ecstatic to see that you increased your fat macro substantially. For me, your carb ratio would be too high (I'm at 5% and try for 2.5%) but if it works for you, it's not an issue. Still, watch the fruits.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I absolutely disagree that fruit should be limited for healthy people eating paleo. If you have a metabolic disorder, then yes, you need to limit your fruit consumption and choose the fruits carefully.

Fruit is wonderful--full of vitamins and nutrients, and a tasty choice if you don't need to watch your blood sugar for medical reasons.

Being paleo and fruit-phobic is ridiculous to me.

Best advice is to see how you feel. If eating fruit leads you to binge, or if you can't control your fruit intake, or if you feel like your blood sugar is crashing after eating some fruit, then you clearly need to change something. But eating an apple, banana, grapes, or whatever in reasonable quantities isn't necessarily "bad" or working against paleo principles in any way, providing you are metabolically healthy. The whole point of paleo is to figure out what works for YOU as an individual. Not follow blindly what someone else thinks is right, or what makes them "ecstatic".

Do what is right for your body, and what makes you feel your best.
  • kegleyc02
    Options
    I have wondered this myself as I begin the paleo lifestyle. What is a good place to start with ratios? I am 5'5 220lbs.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal will help you set up your routine. For Paleo, you will need to customize your
    ratios for fat, protein and carbohydrates within the recommended range of calories.
    I used my TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure to set the calories for my first goal,
    260, or a loss of 40 pounds.

These website pages are good places to start:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz2cO1dgIB3

http://paleohacks.com/questions/3937/macronutrient-ratios#axzz2cO19OJzh

I started my macrco-nutrient ratios at 55% fat, 25% protein, and 20% carbs.
    I eat absolutely no grains, rice, beans, legumes, corn, or dairy.

Do your research! paleohacks.com is a terrific source for your questions!

I am entering week 7 of Paleo/Primal, and I am truly enjoying the experience!