Runkeeper Training Plans

Options
BigBigBertha
BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
Has anyone tried any of the Runkeeper 10k training plans?

I'm thinking about trying one now I'm done with c25k and I like the idea of doing speed work etc. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to do the Runkeeper one, Hal Higdon or Runner's World Smart Coach.

Any opinions/tips?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the SmartCoach program, though not expressly for a 10k. I write the runs on my calendar at home and check them off with a red pen. Once I'm done with this cycle, I'm going to start training for a half marathon.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How are you finding it? I input my details for the smart coach but thought the suggested pace looked very slow for most of the runs, though maybe I am overestimating my capabilities at longer distances!

On the other hand, I'm worried that the hal higdon and runkeeper plans might progress too quickly...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't have accurate race times because I pushed a stroller during my one 5k, so I tweaked around with the times until I thought they looked "right". And then I died on the intervals.

So then I tweaked it all again to my current personal best time (which isn't a race time). That gives me 15 minute miles for easy runs, which seems a bit slow. (My average is now about 12:30 on a mostly flat surface, I'm usually under 15 in my hilly neighborhood). On the other hand, you should be able to EASILY run twice the distance on an easy run. You should be able to have a FULL conversation, not just broken sentences. So, I probably do push a bit harder during my easy runs than I should for peak training. And I'm not going to stop because I like doing it.

This way SmartCoach puts me in the ballpark for the intervals and tempo runs - a nice minimum guideline. I'm still struggling a little with the intervals - will probably drop to a walk during recovery until I get a bit fitter, but I'm not quitting during the runs anymore.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I printed out a smartcoach program from runner´s world and the Bridge 2 10k program. I am a bit lost what to use. SmartCoach is difficult for me as it is in miles and measures distance, not sure how to do it. Bridge to 10 k seems easy to follow but I don´t see speed work there. I want to improve my speed though, not sure if it comes by itsself. I also downloaded a free app on my phone (I don´t have iPhone), Caledos runner, that works with runkeeper. I don´t know yet if it will work on my phone, I have to try it. I thought I could do one of the runkeeper programs then.

But I am still figuring out what works on the technical site so any easy advices are very very welcome here.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think it's because it's the 10 weeks after C25k and they're trying to get your base miles in. When I did my plan in SmartCoach, it had me increase my base for about 8 weeks.

You can change the unit of measure in the SmartCoach app with the "Preferences" button in the menu on the left.
  • anastasiasinokhina
    Options
    Hello girls, what do you think about runkeeper training plans or will it be a very heavy load?