Introduction

Options
ansaguy
ansaguy Posts: 14 Member
Hi,

I'm Jeremy. I started this group because oddly, there isn't one. I couldn't find a group that does calisthenics as their main training. Everyone is on some kind of commercial program or running or bodybuilding type routines. I've just gotten back into exercising and this round has been better than any previous one. I'm doing all sorts of exercises using just my bodyweight. My only equipment is a pullup bar mounted from my ceiling joists, and some "assistance bands" so I can actually complete a workout. In the last 2-3 weeks I've increased my pushup count on a W10 pushup routine by over 60 pushups and actually completed the w10. I've gone up in the number of pullups and down in the level of assistance. I've noticed things getting subtly more firm and I've lost a few pounds. To top it off, I've had more fun with this type of exercise than I ever did with weights. Bonus - I can work out on the jungle gym when I take my daughter to play.

Replies

• JScar1964
    JScar1964 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good to see this group. I started w/ P90X, then Crossfit and now just wanted to simplify things. So for the last 2 weeks have just focused on pushups/situps/weightless squats and lat pulldowns. This week just treadmill running and next week will concentrate on Tabata's.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group! I watch a lot of calisthenics videos on YouTube. Although my focus is currently on Stronglifts 5x5 and running, I have been doing more and more calisthenics work recently.

Currently I am doing a lot of weighted chin ups/pull ups and hope to perform my first one arm chin up/pull up by the end of the year.
  • lizamichelle1
    lizamichelle1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have weak arms, stronger legs. I guess 'cause I'm a girl lol. I've tried P90X, but my discs have disappears. I guess I had a klepto in my home at some point. Then I did Insanity for about 2 weeks but I couldnt stand Shawn T and his people showing off. So this is the way to go. I can go at my own pace without feeling I should keep up with the pros on the videos.

My core is weak, so I do girl push ups and managed to get to 10 before my arms wanted to give out, but I did 3 reps. (Better than 2 pushups last week.)

I could use a squat alternative since I have bad knees.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've been doing progressive calisthenics and weighted calisthenics now for about a year and a half.

Getting a front lever and bar muscle up are my current primary goals.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a group. Cali/gym is fun compared to straightforward lifting.

Been doing cali/gym work for a year now.

Current stuff I can do:
    -plyometric pull ups (leaping upwards about 30-40cm to grab another bar :D )
    -front lever (hold for 2-3 seconds)
    -L-sits

Stuff I'm working on:
    -muscle up
    -one hand chin up
    -planche

My current training includes:
    -pseudo planche push ups
    -dips
    -weighted pull ups
    -holding front levers for as long as I can
    -holding tucked planche for as long as I can
    -training for one hand chin up (same as you would train for two hands)
  • ansaguy
    Options

My core is weak, so I do girl push ups and managed to get to 10 before my arms wanted to give out, but I did 3 reps. (Better than 2 pushups last week.)

I could use a squat alternative since I have bad knees.

Nothing wrong with "girl" pushups. Everyone starts somewhere! Are you able to do partial ROM air squats? What about wall sits, stairs (one or two stairs at a time) or lunges?

I'm currently struggling with one leg pistol squats as my knees give out. I'm doing partial ROM, wall sits and air squats to try to build up some of the strength in my knees. Plus losing a few pounds has helped get my butt just a bit lower on them too.

I'm so glad to see some more advanced people in the group.

Waldo56 - looks like you've made a lot of progress in your journey so congratulations!

darrensurry - that list of moves you can do is on my "can't wait 'till I can pull that off" list. How long did it take you to get to a point where you could do those moves?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

darrensurry - that list of moves you can do is on my "can't wait 'till I can pull that off" list. How long did it take you to get to a point where you could do those moves?

-plyometric pull ups
    maybe a couple of weeks to do a clap pull up, month or two to double dyno to the bar above. Here's a guide I wrote: http://eserv.co.uk/irl2/how-to-do-plyometric-pull-ups/

-front lever
    6-8 months of irregular practice. Need to break it down into its components and take time mastering each component otherwise you can **** your back... like I did. I've nailed toe to bar leg raises for years as I'm a climber and it's a useful tool to have so I thought in a "Watch this!" style, I could pull a front lever. Raised legs up, felt a tweak in my back, stopped trying FLs for a few months! So doing it the clever way to build up all round core strength:
    1) master toe to bar leg raises then
    2) master tucked front lever holds
    3) practice semi tucked - legs less tucked than full tucked
    4) semi straight
    5) one leg straight, one leg bent
    6) front lever raises
    7) FL holds

-L-sits
    Not sure how long because it's easier to hold an L-sit in a dip or hanging position than full leg raises so I guess train toe to bar leg raises then you can have your legs at any angle, subject to tightness of the hamstrings.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

How long is highly individual. The heavier you are and the longer your levers, the longer stuff takes.

I've been working on the front lever for more than a year and can only hold the one leg variation for a second. But it took be about 8 months to get a full back lever. Being 6'1", 200 lb, with 35" arms in my case is not conducive to rapid progress.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    What exercises do you guys find effective for upper chest mass?
  • ansaguy
    Options
    Well I'm still at the beginning of my journey really, but I have read several places that incline presses are great for upper chest - which is almost the same position as a decline pushup. I know when I do declines I can feel it almost to my clavicle and just medial of the anterior deltoid. Maybe one of the more experienced people have a few more suggestions.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Introductions: I'm Varda. I live in Atlanta. I work full time and am the Mom of two little ones. Time is at a premium. I run three days a week and running is my main love right now.

I've been flirting with bodyweight training for almost a year. Used the "You Are Your Own Gym" app when I couldn't make it to the gym. Checked out Ross Training. Got serious when I discovered (cough, cough) Convict Conditioning. I've been working through the progressions for a couple of weeks now. I'm very excited about what I am doing.
  • rickbeal218
    rickbeal218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yoga has been my thing for a long time; and our style of yoga has a lot of planks and such to build some upper body; but overall the upper body hasn't had it's fair share. As i get older i see the loss of muscle mass in my upper body, and it doesn't seem balanced. I look forward to having calisthenics in my routine and life.