Surprised myself!

Options
bmstee03
bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
I usually use the Smith machine to do squats. My husband was with me at the gym so I asked him to spot me as I tried to use the squat rack for the first time. I did 135lbs no problem. Woot! My legs aren't sore today and I think I could have done more weight - the last few reps were hard but not a struggle. Progress! I started at 65 pounds on the Smith machine which I find much harder to use. I'm not sure why I was so afraid of the squat rack now.

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    that's encouraging for me! I'm starting tonight with hubby helping me and I have to say I'm a bit nervous!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I hate the smith machine. It takes out a lot of what a free weight squat does for you as a combo move (for example, removes the stablizers which help to improve balance and posture). I avoid it like the plague now. If the squat rack is occupied I will skip and go back to it or just not do it and do BW squats for a set time...that is how much I hate the Smith machine lol.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My gym only got a bloody smith machine and no squat rack :(
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    ...it is weird to see "smith machine" being mentioned on a NROL4W thread, I must admit....

no, no, no to the smith machine! (Except for doing push-ups and reverse incline pull-ups!)
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My gym only got a bloody smith machine and no squat rack :(

Honestly would put me off signing up....