What's the coffee secret?

Options
jsingley899
jsingley899 Posts: 54 Member
So I'm on day one of Keto and I always start out with my morning coffee. This morning I noticed my coffeemate creamer had a ton of carbs so I decided to use the stevia I had just bought and attempt to drink it black...that sip didn't go well. Then I decided to add some of the soy milk that is really low in carbs...that was just nasty! What is the secret to drinking a cup of coffee without denting your carbs for the day?

Jerri

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I drink iced coffee so I use coffee and heavy whipping cream and some monk fruit extract (my sweetner of choice) over ice... A lot of Keto coffee drinkers make bulletproof coffee..(i personally get bad heartburn with hot coffee)

I have tried this recipe and its really good and keeps you full longer, but there are other ones online and in the forums

6-8oz of black brewed coffee
    1 Tbls of Kerry Gold or other UNSALTED grass-fed butter
    2 Tbls of MCT Oil or Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
    1/8th tsp Vanilla Extract (Optional)
    1 Tbsp heavy cream
  • jsingley899
    Options
    I used to drink Iced coffee from starbucks just because it was so good. However, my norm is one cup of hot coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar and some coffeemate creamer. Now that I'm on keto, I know that has got to change. I have never heard of bulletproof coffee before..what is that? I looked for heavy whipping cream when I was at the store the other day because I heard a lot of ppl on keto use it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    For my first 3 months on keto, I just used heavy cream. Usually coffee with 1/4 cup of cream. Yummy, and a little sweetener,

Vever pass up an opportunity to add fat to what you are eating or drinking! butter, heavy cream, sour cream, cheese, coconut oil - add these in where you can. Fat is your friend.
  • jsingley899
    Options
    I'm going to have to find that heavy cream, I couldn't seem to locate it last time. Is this in with the milk or over by the evaporated milk section? Also, I am not sure I was digging the stevia taste...is truvia or splenda good to use or is that a no go for keto?
  • Stubbula
    Stubbula Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm going to have to find that heavy cream, I couldn't seem to locate it last time. Is this in with the milk or over by the evaporated milk section?

It will be in the refrigerated milk area. The cartons they come in are kind of small so be on the lookout for that
    Also, I am not sure I was digging the stevia taste...is truvia or splenda good to use or is that a no go for keto?

People will give you a ton of mixed reviews for artificial sweeteners. It stalls some people and others it triggers an urge to binge on actual sugars/carbs.

Splenda is generally frowned upon because it has about 97g of carbs per 100g. In my opinion the amount someone would use throughout the day wouldn't add but a few carbs total, but people freak out. There are some you should watch out for, but the ones you listed are fine to use.

EDIT: www.reddit.com/r/keto is a cool place to check out. People generally favor buying a liquid sucralose as a sweetener.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You'll find the heavy whipping cream in the dairy section near the half n half. Any low carb sweetener is okay for keto unless you are also eating Primal/Paleo.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I like truvia best. Splenda is fine too.

Heavy cream is in the Dairy section. Think of dairy as a spectrum, based on fat content. Skim Milk is on the far end of the spectrum. Then 1%, 2%, whole milk, half and half, light cream, heavy ream, and finally pure butter. You want to stick with just heavy cream and butter.
  • jsingley899
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will def make sure I pick up some of that cream and I'll try that before getting any other sweetener to see how that works. Excited to know I don't have to give up my coffee! :)
  • dragonfly130
    Options
    International Delights makes a sugar free creamer that has 1g carbs per serving. It's kind of nasty, but to me it's better than cream and stevia.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like EZ-Sweetz liquid sweetener. I use it in my coffee, and in many recipes. I buy a 3-pack for the house, and a smaller one to carry in my purse. You can get a free sample, just pay shipping here:
    http://www.ez-sweetzstore.com/servlet/Categories?category=Request+a+FREE+Sample
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've used whipped cream. I'm also known to use coconut milk too.

Separate the milk from the water (by freezing and chipping away the clear liquid or separating by the spoonful). Put it in a bowl, with a mixer head & refrigerate overnight. The next morning, whip it up for a good 3-5 minutes and add to your coffee.

If you happen to smoke cigars, it's a very good pairing for most cigars!
  • jsingley899
    Options
    Thanks!! I'll look into that! :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Splenda is generally frowned upon because it has about 97g of carbs per 100g. In my opinion the amount someone would use throughout the day wouldn't add but a few carbs total, but people freak out.
    The liquid Splenda/Sucralose (fyi, Splenda is sucralose) is fine, but yes - the granulated splenda is mostly Maltodextrin - basically a refined corn-starch.

A tsp or two of granulated Splenda in coffee isn't so much a problem, but if you put two cups of the big "splenda for baking" package into making something supposedly "sugar-free" you'll be in for a NASTY surprise in the true amount of highly-refined carbohydrate in it...
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make a cuppa my mochacoconut recipe

1/2 C Decaf Coffee
    1/2 C Canned Coconut Milk (like Thai Kitchen or Native Forest)
    2T Cocoa powder
    1T coconut oil (optional)
    12-15 drops Stevia extract with vanilla

Since I'm a traveller, I use the little one cup coffee maker. I put the cocoa in the cup and brew the 1/2 C of decaf into it as it helps dissolve the cocoa. Stir in the other ingredients and heat in microwave for 30 sec to 1 minute. Keep an eye on it as I think the coconut milk bubbles up pretty quickly when it gets hot. (I do decaf for sleep issues, but you could do full octane)