Pancreatitis and depression

With autoimmune pancreatitis, I am very limited in my food choices. Very little fat is allowed and no alcohol is allowed. I find myself eating the same things over and over. I'm really trying to gain some weight but it's hard when I can't eat my favorite foods. I'd also like to take part in a social hour so I can be with my friends like I used to. People treat you differently if they drink and you don't. My depression is bad and my anxiety is terrible. I worry about everything and even though I'm going to take a nice trip, I'm worried about what I'll eat. I haven't eaten out since last November. I'm always trying to meet someone in my town that I can relate with but since this illness is so rare, it's probably impossible. I really need help. I'm going to try a program that is for people with depression and anxiety at my hospital where I'll be monitored and have another pill added to what I already take. I think of suicide but that is selfish and I'd hurt too many people. I intellectually know that is not really the way to go.

Replies

• angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    -Hugs-

May I ask how long you have suffered from autoimmune pancreatitus?

You are not alone; I also have panic disorder and depression. I developed these conditions before I had pancreatitus but going through the stress of this illness has not made it any easier. I am only 25 and am not allowed to drink with my friends; it is very frustrating being the designated driver all of the time and not able to enjoy the things I should be able to take for granted.

If you would like to discuss more via pm for privacy I would gladly tell you more about my struggle with mental illness and how I've coped with it. :)

Otherwise as far as diet goes, I have not been following mine until these past few months. My first bout of pancreatitus was when I was 20 and at that time I was told it was only acute so I assumed it would never happen again. Boy, was I wrong! My food diary is open if you'd like to get some ideas, you're more than welcome to check it out. I was told by my dr to not eat more than 45-60 grams of fat per day; not sure if this is the same as yours.

I also am going to be posting recipes I make in a blog that I can link you two once I get it setup. :) One of the most frustrating things for me is avoiding sweets since they generally are VERY high in fat. I was lucky and found a cook book full of fat free recipes for cakes, cookies, etc. You may want to try searching online for something like this to help you adapt to your diet.

Also, I have found you can substitute different things. For example, I am not able to eat peanut butter because of its high concentration of saturated fat. Recently I came across a product called PB2, which is made from peanuts and tastes just like peanut butter but 85% less fat and no saturated fat!

Keep strong and remember this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

-Lindsay