WEEK 1 (4/26 ~05/02): Habit-A-Week & Fitness Challenge

Options
So I'm super stoked about getting this going that I put together the Week 1 Habit-A-Week & Fitness Challenge. It starts tomorrow, Friday, April 26, and ends Thursday, May 2. We are going to start week one on a lighter challenge to get everyone motivated, and moving! I thought we could have one Habit-A-Week that's the non-physical portion, and then a fitness piece that will require some physical activity.

Non-Physical Habit-A-Week: Drink more water!

This week we are going to focus on drinking enough water. (If you already drink enough water, keep reading. There are layers to the habits. Everyone can improve). The recommended intake for a healthy adult is generally a minimum of 8 to 12 glasses of water per day (a glass = 8 ounces).

How to do it?
1. Find your water source. Most tap water is just as good as most bottled water, so don't feel like you have to buy your water.

2. Get a cup. If you have a dedicated water cup that you leave on the counter all day, it makes things simpler. I tend to use a 16oz water bottle because I am on the go alot. If you gag on water, you can start with a smaller cup/glass. Anyway it'll save you from washing cups all day.

3. Make water your friend. I personally do not *usually* like cold water (as in, stored in the fridge). Decide how you like your water so you can make this more pleasant. Cold? Get a pitcher for the fridge. Room temp? Leave the pitcher on the counter. Or drink from the tap if you like. Iced work better for you? Be sure you have some ice trays full every night. Be prepared. And what about flavor? Does plain water gag you? I like my water plain usually, but it tastes nicer with a drop or two of lemon juice in it. If you can't stand water, try putting a slice of fresh lemon, lime, or orange in your glass. It tastes much better this way. And if all else fails, just drink it and quit complainin'! You'll get used to it.

4. Make it a HABIT (yes, that's the goal!) Here is an easy way to get your water in. Every morning, first thing in your mouth before anything else, drink a glass of water. I drink a full 16 ounce glass of water every morning. I don't sip it. I just drink it down. Then, have a glass with every meal. I drink a 16 oz glass with all 3 meals each day. If you drink half of it before you even start your meal, it does help fill you faster and you tend to eat a bit less, which is a nice side benefit. I also drink a full glass with EVERY snack. I tell you what. If you MAKE yourself drink a glass of water before you eat a snack, every time you have one, you will get full and eat less snacks. EVEN IF YOU BINGE this week... drink just an 8 or 16 oz glass of water before you start eating. Seriously. This is a good habit to have. It will help you in many ways. Even if you are just sitting down to have ONE cookie, have that water. If you are keeping track, you noticed that with 16 oz upon arising, 16 oz per meal, and 8 oz with 2 snacks, you will have your ten 8-oz glasses of water per day ALREADY. And remember you can always grab a glass when thirsty or when you *think* you are hungry or want to eat. Try this: next time you are between meals and want to eat, just have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If you still want to eat, eat. But sometimes, just the water will be enough.

***Pay attention to ALL liquids going into your body. If there is no health benefit, don't drink it. Water and tea are best!

************************************PHYSICAL FITNESS CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK **********************************************

Some of you may be unable to walk up and down my own stairs or even walk out to the mailbox without excruciating pain and being exhausted. But you have to start somewhere! There is no shame in doing the best you can, even if it is just a few steps out the door at first. Keep at it. Do it every day.

If you already have no trouble walking, perhaps you would enjoy a long walk, jog, or run as your form of movement. If you can go a mile, try going two. Or try walking a little faster. Do something this week to improve your fitness level and get your heart rate up.

If you are already in the regular habit of exercise, take this week to do better. Improve your stride, your technique, the amount of time you spend exercising. Some people find that wearing a pedometer helps them to be more active. Just looking at your Steps and trying to reach a certain number of steps per day can be very motivating. And the other thing that we can ALL work on is lifestyle activity. Some examples of lifestyle activity that will help you MOVE more, improve your fitness, and burn more calories:

Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Park at the far end of the parking lot instead of right up by store entrances.
Park a block away from your destination and walk there.
Walk the dog more often.
If you are downstairs, use your upstairs bathroom, and vice versa.
Get out and rake some leaves, do yard work, wash the car.
Play with your kids.
Mop the floors
Vacuum and dust to music, dancing around a little and having fun.
Ride your bike to the store instead of driving.

All of these things add up and increase the calories you burn. I know I feel much better after an active day than I do after a day being a slug on the couch! Get your circulation going. Oxygenate your system. Have fun, and get moving!

*** Don't forget to post your results by May 2. Let everyone know how much water you've been able to drink every day, and what YOU did to get moving! Let us hear your success story for the week!