Need Cardio workout suggestions

Options
nightengale7
nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
Hello, this is my first post to this group. I gather you guys are more weight training than cardio, but I have a lot of fat to burn off so I would like to get some ideas for what would work for me. I feel lost on what is the most beneficial. I can't run due to bad knees (I re-injured them doing a 5k in January and 30DS) and I have I have a slight back injury (nothing serious, just can't do really intense exercise that involves bending over for any lenght of time). I don't know if I should do elliptical, cycling, or treadmill and how much at what level of each I should do.

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend has neuromas and bad knees and cannot run anymore. She sticks to the elliptical and cycling, I think these options would work well for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a swimming pool?

I would avoid the treadmill. Well, I do anyway...but you know what I mean :smile:
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    To add some variety, you could mix it up.

Elliptical some, cycling some, walking some, as Sara suggested--maybe swimming some :smile:
    And if your gym has one of them Arc trainers, they say it's easy on the joints.

All the best.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Give them all a try :smile:

Elliptical tends to give the highest calorie burn rate as more muscles involved.
    Rowing machine very similar results to elliptical but often not good for bad backs.
    Treadmill is much kinder on the knees than running outside but can be deadly dull (IMHO).
    Cycling covers a wide range from stationary bike, spinning bike to outdoors. Tends to be kind to knees as most of your weight is supported by your bum! Avoid low handlebar racing bikes if you can't tolerate bending over too well. Your quads will also strengthen a lot and help support your injured knees. Your choice depends on if you want short and intense sessions or long endurance sessions.

Well worth reading up on heart rate zone training if you want to use a HRM properly and maximise your fitness improvements. I can provide some links if you are interested.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine very similar results to elliptical but often not good for bad backs.

I have heard rowing is hard on knees as well. That is another exercise my gf had to give up.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You could try my arch nemesis, the step mill (the thing that looks like rotating stairs). Even on a low setting, that thing will kick yo rear end. Unless stairs would somehow hurt you? I would imagine that on a lower setting it wouldn't hurt, but I'm not expert.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I see that you are young. I wonder if you would enjoy Zumba?

I know that some communities have Zumba classes. There are some (high cost) Zumba DVDs that people seem to like. Even some Zumba video games. I've seen them on YouTube ... they look like kind of fun, unless you're like me and have two left feet. :-)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You could invest into a reasonably priced pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps a day.

Ellipticals, bikes and swimming are all good for people with busted knees also. Basically anything low impact.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't have a bad back but I have bad knees. A recumbent cycle at the gym is what works best for me. Swimming is good too, but for me it only works well if it's one of those warm pools that some areas have for arthritis patients -- you might well be different, the reason a regular pool doesn't work well for me is fibromyalgia.

I agree about trying everything and seeing what is best for your particular condition. Rowing is fine for my knees but I would think it would be hard on the back.

Best of luck on finding your best exercise!
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! We do have a pool at my complex, and I am ashamed to admit I have never used it in the year we have lived there. I will try adding that in this summer since I work out at night and shower afterwards anyway :smile:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Have you tried rollerblading? Depending on what exactly is wrong with your knees/back this may or may not be an option for you, but one of my friends enjoys it because it's low impact.