Things in my cart at the store.

Options
So here I am, severely overweight but losing. When I go to the store, I add things like regular mayo, heavy whipping cream, bacon, eggs, and fresh (sometimes frozen) veggies to my cart. I see people look at me, look at my cart, look back at me, and get this "Oh, that explains it" look on their faces. You know, like they've earned the right to judge my way of eating. :huh: What they don't see is me being slightly heavier not too long ago. They don't see a less energetic form of myself with tighter pants and more chins. They just see the bacon eating fat girl pushing a cart of calories and fat around the store.

It's none of their business, but it still irritates me. :angry:

Replies

• Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I have lost 20 pounds, but I still have another 20 to lose before I'll look fit. I feel like people judge me -- strangers but even the people I know, the people who know I have lost 20 pounds but still roll their eyes when they see what I'm eating. For example, I was at brunch with some friends a few weeks ago and I ordered the eggs benedict without the English muffin. Oh, you should have seen the jaws dropping to the table. And honestly, I sort of understand -- I know that what I'm doing goes against everything they've ever heard. I mean, I have butter and whipping cream for breakfast -- who does that? Haha. I had to do a TON of research before I stumbled upon all the benefits of a high-fat, low-carb lifestyle. This is not mainstream.

I do, however, have faith that once I drop this next 20 pounds I will look so fit that people will ask, "How'd you do it?" and then I can tell, "I eat fat." This is actually a huge motivator for me. I feel REALLY healthy right now and I'm excited for the day when I look as healthy as I feel so I can brag about fat to people. :smile:

One other thing I have started to do which is really strange but it makes me feel less self-conscious: I have dropped 20 pounds but probably 3 dress sizes. My jeans are now all saggy in the waist, legs, and butt (thanks Brazilian Butt Lift). I don't un-button my jeans to take them off. I just slide them down they are so big. BUT, I keep wearing them! They make me feel little because they are so big on me. And I think that other people looking at me must be like, "Whoa, her clothes are way too big for her. She must have lost weight."

This is probably totally irrational and extremely strange, but it really has made me feel more confident. Now that summer is coming, though, I will prolly have to finally part with some of these jeans...
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So here I am, severely overweight but losing. When I go to the store, I add things like regular mayo, heavy whipping cream, bacon, eggs, and fresh (sometimes frozen) veggies to my cart. I see people look at me, look at my cart, look back at me, and get this "Oh, that explains it" look on their faces. You know, like they've earned the right to judge my way of eating. :huh: What they don't see is me being slightly heavier not too long ago. They don't see a less energetic form of myself with tighter pants and more chins. They just see the bacon eating fat girl pushing a cart of calories and fat around the store.

They're probably jealous.
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options

They're probably jealous.

This, for sure.. meanwhile they are eating small quantities of heavily processed junk and feeling sorry for themselves.. Keep up your good work!!
  • KetoEric
    KetoEric Posts: 11
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When I see me today I see me 24 lbs less of who I was just a few months ago. But in the back of my head I can't help but realize that all these other people that see me and they think.. "How could someone let themselves get to that point" when in reality I didn't get to this point in that direction I'm coming back from a point further on.

It's a bit irritating. But it cannot be helped I guess. People on the outside looking in are only going to see us for what we are at that point. I can think to myself wow won't it be nice to when I get to be under 300lbs, that will be a major milestone for me eventually. But even when I reach that goal. Others will look at me and still see an obese man and think negatively about me. Not knowing that if I reach that point I will have lost so much weight.

But I guess you have to just ignore them and say I will know it. just like you know what you've done. Friends and family will know it. They've been there watching your journey take shape. People that watch my youtube vlog will know it. They are the only ones that matter really those that are with you on the journey.
  • janetlarose1
    Options
    I would build your mind set up a bit before you even walk into the store. Take a few minutes and think of everything you've accomplished up to this point and when you walk in let them see a more confident and determined you. If you go in with the mindset everyone's looking and judging me then thats all your going to see whether its true or not. However, if you go in with a more positive mindset such as, saying to yourself, there not judging me, there just showing the world how ugly people really can be. You should be proud of your accomplishments and allow your true happy, accomplished, person you want to show the world shine through.

If all else fails, you can always carry a picture of yourself when you were bigger and show it to them and explain to them how much weight you've lost and that your excited and motivated to continue and that you would appreciate if they would keep from judging people as they don't know what anyones story is.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get the opposite - I shop at farmers markets a lot, and when I'm there I buy lots of veggies and eggs and stuff. People look at my bags, and look at me with a "How in the hell are you fat?" look. :laugh: It really cracks me up.

But to be perfectly honest, you would have to pay me to care what strangers think of my food. The only person who's opinion I even remotely care about is my mother's, and only because she's not entirely convinced that high-fat is healthy.