Question about protein

Options
LoveMyLife_NYC
LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
Ever since I started going to the gym and lifting with a trainer, I have become my dad's "go-to" person for nutrition and health advice. But he asked me a question today, and I'm not sure of the answer.

He was asking about protein sources and adding more protein into his diet. I could help him that far, but his reasoning behind adding the protein was this: He felt that over the past few years he has lost a significant amount of muscle mass. His BF% is going up and he doesn't feel strong anymore. He wants to add more protein to preserve and restore his muscle mass. Is this possible?

He is a recovering heart attack patient with a significant back/shoulder injury. Aside from walking or a short bike ride, he cannot work out. Lifting weights is too painful for him. Anything I know about the importance of protein consumption is in relation to lifting and exercising. Would protein alone help build and preserve muscle mass?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes. As you get older your protein needs actually increase. However, the best thing he can do is to incorporate some resistance training - maybe he can do a modified routine.

Protein alone will not build muscle mass but it helps preserve it, or rather, you would lose more if you were not getting enough.

Age related muscle loss is known as sarcopenia.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sara!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking to try to help track open threads. Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you want to add anything or have questions. Please link this thread in the PM.
This discussion has been closed.