Can I ramble at you for a minute? I am weird...

Options
So I just wrote this out in my personal diary. I think I might be onto something here and thought I might share. So sorry for the sporadic thoughts and grammar I just use my journal for weight loss/ food/ fitness thoughts.

""""""LATER: I had a though about my binge eating lately. I am wondering if I have not been restricting myself TOO much lately. I pretty much don’t let myself have cheat days anymore. I NEVER have planned sweets or extra snacks and I always skip family dinners. I never let myself eat out anymore. What if the reason I am wanting to binge and go crazy on all the BAD foods is that my brain is thinking I will never let myself have them again? Like, there will never be room for a burger, or for ice cream or cookies, or a fun family dinner again? Maybe I really should consider going back to having a cheat day (or better yet, cheat meal). One where I don’t try to fit it in to my day or punish myself if I go over. Where I can go out to eat somewhere and have a dessert or something. I am becoming pretty routine in that I cycle through the same healthy meals day after day (love them all!) and the only time I “cheat” is one wine night on the weekends. (I never even go over calories on this day.)
I am trying to decide the best way to do this. If maybe I should try the higher weekly calories to make more room on the weekends (don’t want to give up my wine nights.) I think this would be a good plan. This would give me some room for wine on Saturdays (eating light during the day) and maybe my cheat meal on Sundays depending on how many calories I have left on Sundays. I’m pretty sure that’s how I used to do it. My problem is figuring out how many weekly calories to give myself. Then the actually eating of ALL of them. My mindset right now, is the lower I can get it the better. I don’t think it’s very healthy. Even on my scheduled wine nights or cheat days, I would try to stay as absolutely low as possible. Then I would eat really low the next day to “compensate.” Maybe it’s the cause of my problem I don’t know. A few months ago, when I did not have a binging problem whatsoever, I was doing great by having my wine night on Sat then having a “cheat day” Sunday. Looking back, yes, I would overeat on those Sundays, but never by too much. I never had a thought of binging.
If I set a weekly calorie goal with weekend wiggle room, I need to be sure to eat ALL of them. Maybe this might encourage me to have a small piece of cheese or fruit or a random sweet. Or dinner out somewhere. I am liking this more and more. The loss might slow down, but I am losing pretty fast (maybe too fast) anyways. I need to get over my binging problem first and foremost and learn healthy habits that will last my lifetime. This is more important than losing quickly. Wow that last sentence it the truth of it.
TLDR:
- I am becoming too set/ scheduled in my meal planning
o I need to allow a day/ meal of more variety and snacks I don’t normally have
- I need to set a weekly goal and get UP to it.
- I am in the mindset that losing quickly = best. This leads me to under eat daily, even on planned “cheat days”
o Maybe all the weight I have lost is becoming addicting and I am letting it rule mmy life by not letting myself have fun with food anymore… """"""""

Replies

• woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    And just to clarify, when I say "under eat daily", I just mean my normal lower days. Usually around 1300 - 1400. Not drastically low or anything.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It looks to me as if you're 100% correct in your conclusion. I just recently figured out that my binging problem could be greatly reduced by allowing myself to have sweets, unhealthy meals, etc. occasionally, while using portion control. Changing your mind-state in order to be more moderate lets you know that in the future you can have these things.....you can enjoy life and be normal like everyone else while being at a good, healthy weight. I've found this change of mind-state to be a sort of epiphany. It is extremely freeing and for me, greatly reduced my binging problem. I don't even know what caused me to suddenly change my ways and start thinking of it as a lifestyle change, but it is working!

In the past, I had an extremely restricted outlook, too, and I eventually fell off that eating plan and gained all the weight back.
    I suggest being more moderate.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Thank you so much rem. Looking back, I was much happier when I had a "cheat" day. I guess I just fell in love with seeing the scale numbers drop I started trying to restrict myself too much.

I calculated my averages for this week and I have EXTRA calories for today and/ or tomorrow. I am going to try planning in something that I used to love but never eat anymore.

You are right. It is such a freeing feeling and I am finding myself actually looking forward to tomorrow instead of dreading it. I am really hoping I have found the reason for my recent binging mentality.

Thanks again for your input!