Starting is half the battle

Options
In my mind, I finished the whole program and am well on my way to running a 10k. Realistically, I'm terrified of setting a foot outside my door. I can't explain why, though. It's not like I'm all that embarrassed to be seen or anything, it's a little more psychological than that. I have a very busy schedule so my biggest fear of starting the C25K challenge is investing my time on something that won't produce results. I know I'll see them if I stick to it but at the end of the day, the dark thought of ineffectiveness still lingers in the back of my mind.

If you were faced with a similar fear, how did you manage to overcome it? I've drilled the infamous "Just Do It" quote into my head so I'll try my best to stick with it but I'd like to hear from other people who have been in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Starting is actually 80%, or possibly 85% of the battle. Truly, it is the most difficult part of the program. For me, my fear was that my neighbors would think "Yeah, who's she trying to kid? Fatty will never be a runner." And then all my perfectly good reasons to run would kick in and I'd have to quit and vindicate them. Not sure exactly which of my neighbors are that big of an *kitten*, but that was my fear.

I've *been* the fit person in the gym and know logically that people don't see somebody trying to run and have a reaction like that. Mostly, people think "you go!" I also dug down to every other time I'd tried something new and accomplished something great. I've found that running will give you more of those types of experiences than you can imagine.

Running is the awesomest exercise for busy people. The time and equipment to get started is negligible. Once you get conditioned, you can even fit in short workouts in crappy shoes chasing a toddler around a table.

But really, what it comes down to...lacing up your shoes and heading out the door. No shame in it being difficult. Even Olympic level runners find it a challenge. But ultimately, they just do it.
  • kristajeanb
    Options
    I think about what I think when I see people running. I don't think "Wow, why are they even trying" I think it's great that they're trying something wonderful and that I should do it too.

I'm a little nervous to be running around the neighborhood in front of people I don't know, but they can think whatever they want. At least I'm trying to do something that's good for myself and in the end, I feel better.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I trained on the treadmill and was worried about jogging outside. I thought all the neighbours would be watching, laughing, etc. I was hard to take that first step out the door.
    But it's great! It feels wonderful, anyone I meet greets me with a smile and its nice to get out.

Take that first step. You won't regret it.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting started, but my fear is that something would happen to me physically. I am still running on a treadmill, so I know help is all around me if I need it. I will be heading outside it two weeks to complete my training. I just picture myself running with my middle fingers up thinking "I'm doing it, people!!" Although I'm fairly confident the people in my neighborhood could not care less....
    Best of luck to you.