Hi,

just joined and wondered what foods I should avoid to stop me gaining extra fat

Thanks
Rob

Replies

• roger711
    roger711 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to say this. I am not a doctor so no medical advice. Avoid soda, even diet, avoid fast food. Eat real food, fresh veggies. Drink at least 8 glasses of filtered water a day. If you don't have filter on your refrigerator, get a Brita filtered pitcher for in your frig and like I said drink 8 glasses a day. This is the same advice I gave my now 20 year old 5' 10" son when he was 18 and weighed about 250 Lbs. He is now 170 Lbs.

Something else I do to keep the fat low in my system is to start including egg whites in your diet. I buy them in a container from the market. I still eat whole eggs, but I will eat 1 whole egg with 1/2 cup of egg white three times a week. Also include oatmeal in your diet. I use steel cut oats. Don't use instant or quick cooking. Oatmeal is a super food. What makes it so healthy is that it contains soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber is absorbed into your blood stream and binds with bad fats and cholesterol and takes them out of your system. Insoluble fiber is the fiber that is not absorbed and helps you stay regular. It is also a low glycemic food.

Oatmeal is made of oat grains and contains soluble fiber which helps lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. It’s high-fiber count helps prolong feelings of fullness and increase energy levels. Plus one serving can pack about 4 grams of fiber.
    An 18 ounce box of rolled oats has a long shelf life and is relatively cheap (only about 15 cents per serving), which helps keep oatmeal enthusiasts slim while leaving their piggy banks fat.
    ROCK THE OAT, BABY — WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU
    There are plenty of ways to pump up a simple bowl of oatmeal: throw in a few nuts, fruits, or almond butter. And top it off with cinnamon, honey, or even a little whey protein. We suggest purchasing plain over presweetened oatmeal and save big on sugar and calories.
  • Deb62_rocks
    Deb62_rocks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely will try adding oatmeal to my life. I understand why I should use regular oats vs. pre-packaged instant but is there a benefit to using steel-cut rather than other rolled oats?
  • roger711
    roger711 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just prefer steel cut oats. For me, rolled oats just turns into mush when it is cooked. Steel cut oats retains some body and some bite when you eat it. Personal preference. There are some brands out there that are quite costly at $7-$8 a package. The steel cut oats that I use are a brand called "Bob's Red Mill." They are half the price of the other brands. It is available either in organic or in non-organis. Here is a link to their site. http://www.bobsredmill.com/