New to this group and seeking advice!

Options
Hi ladies! I've been on MFP for years but just got into it in January, trying to get in better shape and lead a healthier lifestyle overall. I have had a tough time losing weight, I got caught up in the 1200 calories a day crap and have literally been trying variations of that since January. I also was working out 5-6 days a week and usually not eating back any of my exercise calories, so usually netting around 800-900. But honestly, it led to overeating on weekends, being cranky and devastated every time I would step on the scale and haven't lost anything. There were even weeks when I followed it religiously and nothing came of it. It got to the point where the "diet" literally ruled me, it governed everything I did and I got really crazy about it, to the point where it was not healthy for my mind! I've taken the last couple weeks to forget the diet, just eat and not thinking about counting calories and do some research to figure out where to go from here. I would like to get back on the horse next week, as summer is coming soon and that has been my goal since January, to lose weight and tone up for the weeklong trip I take every year to Lake Powell and spend a week in a swimsuit!

So here's my info:

5'8''
158 lbs
25 years old
lightly active (I work a desk job but exercise 5 times a week, 20 mins of cardio and lifting so I'd say that's pretty accurate for my activity level, since I was saying that I was "sedentary")
My goal weight is around 130, but honestly, the number doesn't matter as much to me as losing the fat around my belly (where I carry ALL of my body fat it seems!) and thighs. (most of my excess fat I have actually toned off of my arms and some off of my legs so there has been SOME progress!)

I calculated my BMR as 1538, TDEE 2115. With a 20% deficit this puts me at 1692 calories a day.

I could really use some advice of people who have gone through similar situations or people who have more knowledge on this. I hate feeling so discouraged and really want to make sure that this time I am making the right decisions. Thanks for the support! :)

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I can't help but would like to sympathise- your story could have been mine. For the last week I have used my BMF and set to eat 1600 at least. I want a 500 deficit so any extra burnt, I am saving for lunch out tomorrow. I am now intending to plan more and save extra each day ( without eating below my BMR) for the weekend. I seem to have lost a pound this week but I fluctuate a lot, so its hard to say.

I'm not convinced you are only lightly active. I'd maybe go to the next level.
  • LovesTheSeasons
    LovesTheSeasons Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I wonder if the 800-900 isn't too low so then you physically and mentally throw in the towel on the weekend. Try for something more reasonable. I am doing 1200/day and it seems very reasonable.
  • rosietap
    rosietap Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi guys!

This is my first forum post so saying a general hello as well as responding to Rowena. It sounds like you are doing exactly the right things and your goals seem much more sensible than your original plans of 800-900 which obviously would mean your body went into starvation mode and retained any fat. I think your new plan will work well - good luck!

My question (generally) is whether you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories - I do about 30 minutes of cardio most days (through running, swimming or exercise DVDs) which means I vary in calories burned but a friend has told me you're not supposed to eat them back. So I have a deficit most days - my aim using the BMR and TDEE calcuations minus 20% is 1392 but most days I am around 1200 with my exercise. I am down to 127 lbs but I'd like to get down to 120, I'm 5'3" and all my excess fat is on my stomach.

If anyone wants to add me that'd be awesome, would be nice to get some motivation!

xoxo
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi ladies! I've been on MFP for years but just got into it in January, trying to get in better shape and lead a healthier lifestyle overall. I have had a tough time losing weight, I got caught up in the 1200 calories a day crap and have literally been trying variations of that since January. I also was working out 5-6 days a week and usually not eating back any of my exercise calories, so usually netting around 800-900. But honestly, it led to overeating on weekends, being cranky and devastated every time I would step on the scale and haven't lost anything. There were even weeks when I followed it religiously and nothing came of it. It got to the point where the "diet" literally ruled me, it governed everything I did and I got really crazy about it, to the point where it was not healthy for my mind! I've taken the last couple weeks to forget the diet, just eat and not thinking about counting calories and do some research to figure out where to go from here. I would like to get back on the horse next week, as summer is coming soon and that has been my goal since January, to lose weight and tone up for the weeklong trip I take every year to Lake Powell and spend a week in a swimsuit!

So here's my info:

5'8''
    158 lbs
    25 years old
    lightly active (I work a desk job but exercise 5 times a week, 20 mins of cardio and lifting so I'd say that's pretty accurate for my activity level, since I was saying that I was "sedentary")
    My goal weight is around 130, but honestly, the number doesn't matter as much to me as losing the fat around my belly (where I carry ALL of my body fat it seems!) and thighs. (most of my excess fat I have actually toned off of my arms and some off of my legs so there has been SOME progress!)

I calculated my BMR as 1538, TDEE 2115. With a 20% deficit this puts me at 1692 calories a day.

I could really use some advice of people who have gone through similar situations or people who have more knowledge on this. I hate feeling so discouraged and really want to make sure that this time I am making the right decisions. Thanks for the support! :)

I'm super jealous you live in Colorado!! I lived in Denver for a few months and absolutely loved it! Did you grow up there?

I"m not sure how much advice I can offer you but maybe we can help one another!
    I'm 5'7 and I weigh 144 and my heaviest was 157 and my goal weight is about 135.
    My TDEE is right around yours at 2282 and wiith 20% I'm at 1826. Here's my question on TDEE. Is that the amount of calories that is eaten on days where you work out as well as days with no exercise? When I work out I typically burn anywhere between 300-700. It just depends on my workout.

My belly also carry's all my extra weight! It's super annoying. I have really high hip bones and the love handle area just looks funky cause of it, haha. However, I do love my body other than that one little issue.

1200 definitely seems like a really low number. I've been averaging 1700 calories/day and have maintained weight for the past month. I actually gained 2lbs and I'm not sure if it's from doing insanity and just gaining muscle or what. I know though that if I eat less than 1500-1600 then I'm just super hungry later in the night.

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you!"
  • RowenaBernice
    Options
    I have lived in Colorado since I was 11, in Colorado Springs, then Fort Collins for College and now Denver. I LOVE it here.

Have you lost any inches even though you haven't lost any weight? I do know that since I've started I haven't lost any scale weight but I've definitely lost inches in places. I guess our goal is more to lose fat than anything! Before you were eating 1700 calories how many were you eating? The two weeks that I took and just ate whatever (I was really bad) I gained about 5 lbs give or take, whether it was water weight or just my body being stoked for some actual food intake! But this first week that I have been set at my 1675 I dropped that 5 lbs so that's a good sign? I also had that question about exercise because I know that TDEE takes into account your exercise. I'm pretty sure that you aim to hit the same number everyday, but I guess that if you didn't that you would create just a little bit more of a calorie defecit? You could potentially try eating just your BMR on those days and see what that does, especially if you find that you're not really losing. What is your body fat %? I know they say that the less fat you have to lose the more you're supposed to eat but it definitely is all subjective.
  • kels1152
    Options
    I have lived in Colorado since I was 11, in Colorado Springs, then Fort Collins for College and now Denver. I LOVE it here.

Have you lost any inches even though you haven't lost any weight? I do know that since I've started I haven't lost any scale weight but I've definitely lost inches in places. I guess our goal is more to lose fat than anything! Before you were eating 1700 calories how many were you eating? The two weeks that I took and just ate whatever (I was really bad) I gained about 5 lbs give or take, whether it was water weight or just my body being stoked for some actual food intake! But this first week that I have been set at my 1675 I dropped that 5 lbs so that's a good sign? I also had that question about exercise because I know that TDEE takes into account your exercise. I'm pretty sure that you aim to hit the same number everyday, but I guess that if you didn't that you would create just a little bit more of a calorie defecit? You could potentially try eating just your BMR on those days and see what that does, especially if you find that you're not really losing. What is your body fat %? I know they say that the less fat you have to lose the more you're supposed to eat but it definitely is all subjective.

I just took measurements and lost another .75 inches around my belly button area. I'm really trying hard to focus more on how I feel other than the number on the scale. I know I am in shape and healthy but it's still always been an issue.
    I really dont' know how many calories I was eating prior. Probbaly around the same but I'm not sure.

That is a good sign that you were able to drop those 5lbs pretty fast! I thinik we should be eating around 1700 to lose weight. A website I read said on active days we should be eating 2200-2300. If we were to then subtract another 500 from the 1700 that would just be way to little calories.
    I'm not sure what my body fat % is. I haven't had it measured in awhile. I'm actually going to call my university nutrition services tomorrow to make an apt to learn all that and see what they say about calories and how many I should be eating.

Are you still eating 1675 calories a day? And is that on days you workout?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'8" and over the last two months have gone from 159lbs to 150lbs. At the beginning I was eating 1710 and am now eating 1660 a day as recommended by MFP (i inputted mildly active and that I was wanting to lose 0.5lbs per week). Initially I wasn't eating my exercise calories back but now I eat at least half back. The weight continues to drop easily and comfortably - no deprivation here!
  • cat_mb
    cat_mb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I wonder if the 800-900 isn't too low so then you physically and mentally throw in the towel on the weekend. Try for something more reasonable. I am doing 1200/day and it seems very reasonable.

I agree with Loves, you might be targeting a bit too low. I used to deprive myself and got slim sure enough but also tired all the time and cranky. My goal was too drastic and I would end up sabotaging myself.

I started to keep track of what I eat on regular days, and wait until the evening to add all the calories. I used that as my baseline and looked where I could cut a little at a time. I also introduced a little extra activity throughout the day. I use the bathroom 2 floors up just to have an excuse to use the stairs and every time I get up from my chair I squeeze in 10 squats (I do look a little weird though!)

I haven't lost much so far, but at least I'm in a better mood and I know I can stay on track with my plan without going crazy!
  • kels1152
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'8" and over the last two months have gone from 159lbs to 150lbs. At the beginning I was eating 1710 and am now eating 1660 a day as recommended by MFP (i inputted mildly active and that I was wanting to lose 0.5lbs per week). Initially I wasn't eating my exercise calories back but now I eat at least half back. The weight continues to drop easily and comfortably - no deprivation here!

Congrats on losing those pounds!!! How much do you normally burn during exercise? That's a good idea to only aim to eat back 1/2 of the calories burned from working out. I think I will try that! What's your goal weight?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and 150 was my original goal but I'm thinking of lowering it to 145. I've a fairly large frame so could look a bit gaunt smaller than that.