salmon

Options
hi, what is a good way to season salmon?

Replies

• roger711
    roger711 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a good one. The greatest travesty is to over cook fish. Beyond that, when I make salmon I do simple lemon pepper, sometimes i will do BBQ salmon with a little sauce, or how about after cooking it top it with a vinaigrette. General rule for a vinaigrette is 2 parts oil (EVOO) and 1 part vinegar. Or lemon juice. Mix the oil (EVOO) into the vinegar or in a blender. You can put mustard in a vinaigrette, herbs, a little tomato paste to make it a tomato vinaigrette. i am a big fan of vinaigrette's.

Another thing I do is a french Cooking method called en Papillote. Which means cooking in parchment. Here is a link that explains how to do it. There is a video there. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/fish-en-papillote-recipe/index.html

If that is too challenging, take the salmon, put it in an oven proof dish. Top the salmon with lots of veggies like thin cut zucchini, red onion, thinly cut carrot, peppers, fresh herbs, salt & pepper and a little white wine and if you want to a little olive oil or butter. I personally omit the fat. Salmon is high in fats. Good fats. Oh, one thing that I do is squeeze some lemon on top or put a few slices of thinly sliced lemon on top. Cover with foil. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven till the salmon is done. About 10-15 minutes. All you need is some brown rice and you have a meal. One point, if you use thin lemon slices, after it is cooked, you can eat the lemon slices skin and all. Be sure to wash the lemon before hand. I prefer salmon filet over salmon steak.

Hope that answered some of your questions. Please get back to me anytime with any other questions.
    21057 Posts: 9
    Options
    that is awesome i am going try some the pointers you have given me. once again thanks till next time.
  • Deb62_rocks
    Deb62_rocks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This was a great topic for me to find. I absolutely love salmon. I don't eat meat at all...only fish and seafood...so I really need to find ways to cook fish that are healthy but tasty. I will definitely be trying some of your suggestions. :)
  • roger711
    Options
    Deb:
    Salmon is great. I have said it before, the greatest travesty is over cooking fish. I use salmon allot because of the healthy fats. Although I either get the whole fish, bone it and cut it up or buy the sides of salmon and cut it up and then I portion it and freeze it. I am starting slow here because what may seem as simple to me, may be a little more challenging to other folks without the culinary experience that I have. But more to come. Please share your ideas.
  • roger711
    Options
    Since we are on a salmon thread here, I thought I would post what I made for dinner tonight. I went to the gym tonight and weight trained for about 75 minutes, came home, had a protein shake and then started thinking about dinner. I had some salmon in the frig that I just cut up. I usually buy a couple of sides of salmon, portion them up and freeze them. So I froze all of the portioned salmon except my dinner. I made a dry rub for the salmon and then sauteed and baked it. I will give the recipe for this simple rub in case anyone wants to try it. Anyway it was delicious. Also squeezed a wedge of lemon over the salmon as I was eating it.

Dry Rub:

1 T Paprika
    1 T Black Pepper
    1/2 t Kosher Salt
    1/2 t Cayenne Pepper

Mixed it all together, rubbed it on both sides of the salmon. I sauteed the salmon in a non-stick pan in a tsp of EVOO on one side and then when I flipped it over I put the whole pan in a 350 degree oven and let it finish. About 10 minutes. There was rub left over, so I will save it for another time. The rub tastes like it would be good on chicken too. I would also squeeze the lemon on the chicken too. The lemon compliments the rub well. I guess you can play with the salt content a little if you have issues with salt. I wonder how smoked paprika would taste in this rub recipe.

One point. Fresh ground black pepper is always best. Fresh anything is better. If you really like black pepper like I do, invest in a pepper mill and grind it fresh. It's worth it.

Please let me know if anyone tries the rub. Thanks.