What do you think I should do next? (Strength training)

Options
Starting threads makes me nervous but you are all so helpful! I've just finished NROLW- I did it on a small calorie deficit (most or the time TDEE minus 20%) and lost maybe 12 lbs over 7 months. But definitely increased strength quite a bit (for me, never lifted before) anyway. I'm very undecided about what to do next.

Most body fat estimation methods put me around 25% (or less but I don't believe those ones). My main goal is to get down maybe 3-5% more, and because I lose pretty slowly, that means I will likely be on a caloric deficit a few more months. I also dance 3-4 days a week and do not want to give it up, so that means i can only lift 3 days a week max. So would love opinions on the best program would be for this goal?

I've read "starting strength" and am probably leaning most toward this (even though I fear the powercleans and maybe even the press-although I have feared things before and done them anyway)

Stronglifts- mostly put off by the fact that the workouts seem like they would be long and possibly boring.

Wendler- not sure I am strong enough yet- can't do pull-ups for example.

Others? Some of my friends are doing Nia Shanks?

Would love and appreciate any suggestions!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest this one - it's a little more varied but does not include power cleans.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

I would not recommend a split routine based on your schedule and where you are at with your lifting.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You're awesome Sara! Okay will try it! Thank you! :heart:
This discussion has been closed.