gloves yes/no?

Options
agirlscamaro
agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
In your opinions, should i buy gloves to complete this program? I just bought the book and haven't finished reading it. If it is addressed in the book just tell me and I'll read on.

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use them only because I don't want callouses.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I only use them if I'm deadlifting very heavy. Otherwise, I don't wear mine.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I didn't until maybe stage 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly. It's not that I care about the appearance of callouses, but I was getting callouses that were so painful, I couldn't lift anything without gloves to act as a barrier. I bought reebok gloves at target, they worked, but certainly didn't prevent mine from getting worse, they're still there and bigger than before I started using gloves, but not as painful. I recently bought a pair of harbinger gloves ( which run small just for an FYI) and I like them a lot better. I am just finishing stage 7.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lifted most of my life. Gloves help prevent callouses. They also help you grip the bar better because of sweat. most gyms dont allow chalk so the gloves kind of resolve the grip issue. An aside benefit of gloves now is that my bare hands don't touch the bars where other sweaty, germy people touch the bars and dumbells! Guess I'm becoming a germ-a-phob! Gloves are a little protection from germs and sweat of others. Good luck with your lifting program.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I'll probably pick up the Target ones to try out. I'm not germophobic but yeah the ick factor is there. I've watched the guys lift, half of them don't wipe. I say guys because i've yet to see a female use the squat machine or smith machine at Planet Fitness.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use chalk and love it. I picked up a $2 block from a local fitness store and keep it in a zip lock bag in my gym bag. I've never used gloves, but have had lots of success with the chalk. It has drastically improved my grip, and my callouses haven't gotten that bad. I'm pulling 200# DLs with chalk only, for a reference point. Although I'm not doing NROLFW any longer, but still part of the group. I lift heavy things, just not on this program....don't kick me out!! :laugh:
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wear them because I get callouses if I don't
  • lazyjane75
    lazyjane75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use gloves - the bars were ripping up my hands without them.