Anyone Doing Jillian and 5K Training?

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
So in a fit of insanity I signed up for two 5Ks this fall. I downloaded C25K, which is 8 weeks. I'm extending JMBR to one month per set of DVDs to stretch it to 6 months. Is anyone else doing some run training along with JMBR? If so, how's it working out? The running is only 3 days a week, so I can do it on strength days. I don't want to over exert myself, but I'm feeling great with Jillian so I feel up to the 5K challenge.

Replies

• Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    When is fall for you? (Sorry, I'm in Australia - it's autumn here now!) I think if you feel up to it, you'll be fine if you have long enough to train. The consensus seems to be that extra cardio is all good as long as you don't feel over-exerted. I personally do "Zombies, Run!" missions (an app I have on my phone) as extra cardio on some days. It's kinda like C25K but you're immersed in a zombie story completing a "mission" each time you run. (Kinda hard to explain, don't judge. :P)

Good luck with it! I know a few people who have really enjoyed C25K. :)
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I'm in FL so we're just going into summer here, which means training in the morning or evening due to the heat. I like the sounds of the zombie app. I belong to Neufit which does activity based missions, so I know it's very motivating.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes! DH and I are starting the kickstart week of JMBR tomorrow. We started it back in September but had to stop in October because I had to have surgery and never got to finish. So we are re-starting tomorrow. I'm in the 2nd week of C25K.

I do plan to run at least one 5k in the fall myself, but that isn't until October. Once we finish Jillian at the end of July and I've hopefully lost 20 pounds, I plan to keep running and alternating it with some weight training like the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

I'm not a huge fan of working out to DVDs, but I know they work so I'm willing to do it for one run through. But then it's outside for running and then some weights with my music.

I've heard of this Zombies app. I've got to check it out!!
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not alone! By stretching Jillian out to a month for each phase, she'll take me to Sept. the races I signed up for are in Sept. and Nov., so if I like them, I plan to continue running and work inTurbo Jam. I might even try a 5K earlier, depending on how things go, since C25k says ill be ready in 8 weeks. I was amazed at the number of 5Ks around here when I started looking.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When is fall for you? (Sorry, I'm in Australia - it's autumn here now!) I think if you feel up to it, you'll be fine if you have long enough to train. The consensus seems to be that extra cardio is all good as long as you don't feel over-exerted. I personally do "Zombies, Run!" missions (an app I have on my phone) as extra cardio on some days. It's kinda like C25K but you're immersed in a zombie story completing a "mission" each time you run. (Kinda hard to explain, don't judge. :P)

Good luck with it! I know a few people who have really enjoyed C25K. :)

I saw this app! It looks awesome-very motivating and keeps things interesting.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It seems like our 5K's are scheduled for the early spring and late fall-which makes no sense-we live in Montana, and some of us don't feel like running in zero degree weather.

I might start the C25K in June when I am done with my first round of JMBR. Just not sure when my official run will be because I don't want to be freezing when I do it.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I'm very lucky to live in FL where the races go all year. Not so lucky with the brutal summer temps, but it will be good motivation to get my butt out of bed early in the morning. Now I just have to figure out how to slot the three days of running each week around Jillian.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k while doing JMBR. I ran my first 5k April 21, and I'm now training for a half. I have been fine running while doing BR. I have altered it though. I do BR 4 days a week and run 4 days a week. I do my long runs on the cardio days for BR. Also, I am progressing slowly (this also has to do with a torn rotator cuff that has everything to do with me trying to show that I'm bad *kitten* and hurting myself and nothing to do with BR or running.) I am only on weeks 5 and 6. I was going to move on to 7 and 8 today but after watching some of it, I realized my shoulder needs to heel more before I can progress.
  • ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 3rd week of C25K and I do really love it. I definitely do it on my cardio days but also do it when I feel like adding an extra burn. So currently I am doing it on schedule for 3 days a week. I do really really love it. Hope I feel like that as I progress through the program. I think it is definitely doable. Although I am not extremely far in BR. I am just doing disc 3 and 4. Hope this helps.
  • ravensgirl87
    ravensgirl87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about adding 5k training to BR too. I am just starting phase 2 and I was hoping that after finishing phase 1 I'd be strong enough and better conditioned to give it a solid effort. I've started C25K three times and I NEVER finished the program. I completed ALL of BR phase 1... That's the longest I've actually stuck to an exercise program.

For those of you that do it 3 times a week... Do you do it on the 2 cardio days plus the rest day?
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Yep, my plan has me doing running on the cardio and rest days. I like the JMBR cardio, but it increased my stamina enough in the first month to decide that I'd like C25K because I can have the tangible goal of running 5Ks this wall. The other workouts will hopefully take care of the toning, and if I'm feeling mildly suicidal or have eaten too many calories, I might throw in JMBR cardio on a toning day, too.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it 3x a week completely separate from JMBR. So three days a week I do JMBR in the early AM and run after work. My rest day is Sunday - I don't do either on that day. I'm too busy cleaning house, doing yardwork and laundry on Sundays. You know, resting. Ha!
  • amhullihen
    amhullihen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k while doing JMBR. I ran my first 5k April 21, and I'm now training for a half. I have been fine running while doing BR. I have altered it though. I do BR 4 days a week and run 4 days a week. I do my long runs on the cardio days for BR. Also, I am progressing slowly (this also has to do with a torn rotator cuff that has everything to do with me trying to show that I'm bad *kitten* and hurting myself and nothing to do with BR or running.) I am only on weeks 5 and 6. I was going to move on to 7 and 8 today but after watching some of it, I realized my shoulder needs to heel more before I can progress.

I'm doing the same thing! I have a 11 mile race at the end of August(not quite a half but close). I like running outside instead of doing the cardio DVDs. It gives me a chance to get out in the nice weather and workout at the same time. I'm using the Runkeep App training program on my phone. It has a 16 week half marothon training calander.

Good luck with your shoulder! It must be hard to try and hold yourself back. Hopefully it will heal soon.:smile::flowerforyou:
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I signed up to do a 5K but I want to do JMBR too so this is encouraging :)
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have one more week of Body Revolution and I'm sticking to the 6 days a week program. I was running 4-5 days a week 2-5 miles at a time in addition to the Jillian workouts. This was on both circuit training and on cardio days. It was going great up until about 2 weeks ago when I developed a stress fracture in my right foot. I think with the jumping in BR cardio 3 and running on the treadmill so often, it was just too much for my foot. I've never had any injury from running so this was new to me. Unfortunately I have had to stop running for a few more weeks until my foot is healed. I'm still doing my Body Rev workouts, but not the cardio. Kinda stinks because with the added running I was burning lots of cals and could eat more but now I've learned it was not worth the injury. So if you are going to run along with BR, just be careful not to over do it. Maybe limit the running to 2 days a week or like some of you have said-change up BR to extend it out and workout less days through the week. Good luck with your training!!
  • daynaranae
    daynaranae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing couch to. 5K along with the program. It's very tough. I'm starting week 9 of 5k but have not been able to do it three days per week. It's too difficult, especially with Jillian's cardio. I'm just spreading it out a bit more in the last few weeks of running and try to do short 15 minute runs in between. Good luck!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes! I love me some Zombies, Run! It's so fun, and I love that they give me the extra push I need... BUT, I listen to my body. If It feels like my legs are going to fall off then I walk or pause the program and stretch a bit. After an hour or 2 break from jogging, then I'll do JMBR. :) Have fun with it!
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm doing a runkeeper training plan. 10k sub 55, because I have a race in 35 days.
    I find that I can run better if I combine running with Jillian's workouts.
    It's tough, but it pays off!
  • daynaranae
    daynaranae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a god runner, but finally made it to the 30 minutes run. Now I'm getting ready to o he 10 k training. I'm having a really tough time though while doing JM. I'm only running two times a week because s killing me! I'm in the first weeks phase 2. Ny suggestions? Remember, I struggle with running.