Pro Tips:

Options
jus_in_bello
jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
Since there are quite a few threads with the same general questions I figured it was time to have a sticky.

Some of us have been gluten free for years, some of us are just learning we might need to go GF. Those first months are terrifying and confusing and full of mistakes.

The least we long term GF folks can do is offer the best advice we received when going GF.

Please leave your advice, favorite blogs, recipe books, GF beers/alternatives, and stories.

Replies

• jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When you are going GF don't start by eating the processed GF junk in the hippie aisle of the grocery store. Go for naturally gluten free foods, lots of veggies and fruits, corn, rice, potatoes, root vegetables, grass fed beef/chicken/eggs, fish, dairy, and coconut oil.

Going GF might bring other food intolerances into the light. I had to go egg and dairy free for 6mos-1year. I can eat both in small doses now.

Being GF does not mean sub-par food!

Websites: Celiac.com <- I cannot stress how helpful this site was to me when I first when GF. They were incredibly helpful, patient, and they know what is up.

Blogs:

Glutenfreegirl.com
    xgfx.org
    ohsheglows.com

Recipe Books:
    Easy Gluten Free Baking Elizabeth Barbone
    Babycakes Gluten Free
    Flying Apron Strings
    CIA Gluten Free
    Allergen Free Baking

Beers/Alternatives:
    Daura (http://www.estrelladamm.com/en/daura_gluten_free_beer/)
    Wood Chuck
    Wine
    Most hard liquors are GF, including Whiskey, which was my immediate concern on learning I had a gluten issue.

Stories:

When I found Daura I drank one while I ate the first decent pizza I'd had in 2 years. I cried on my kitchen floor. I hadn't realized how much I missed good beer and pizza until that moment.

I once walked away from a full grocery cart in Giant because I was so stressed and pissed at my body for being such a PIA. I couldn't find GF sunflower seeds and I was just done, I was so mad that I had to deal with this crap I just walked away.

I found what I thought was an awesome GF donut (yellow box Kinnikinnick) and was giddy to give one to my roommate who looked up at me with such sadness in her eyes as she said, "You don't remember what donuts taste like. I'm so sorry." Last time I saw her I took donuts that I made from the Babycakes book and she *loved* them.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I felt so much better after going gluten free that it has never bothered me to do without. It's only been since last December. My only advice is to cook at home. I didn't have to do so much to change my ways because I already cooked a lot of things that were gluten free, or only needed minor changes. I had not eaten pizza or doughnuts in years anyway, so even though I hypothetically miss them, it hasn't seemed like something I'm missing.

Quick breads are much easier to convert to gluten free flours than yeast raised breads, in my experience. Some of the gluten free mixes are worth the extra expense. Pamela's pancake mix is great for pancakes, scones, and waffles, and, unlike GF Bisquick, it does not contain sugar as a major ingredient.

I empathize about not being able to find sunflower seeds that are gluten free. There are so many things that should be gluten free and are not because of cross contamination. I hate it when I miss some tiny little warning somewhere on a box, until after I've bought something.

I miss Pearl River soy sauce. Soy sauce made without any wheat doesn't taste as rich. I keep an eye out for soy sauce brewed with rice instead of wheat, but I haven't found any.

The only thing I'm worried about is traveling. I'll miss eating bread in France, but I plan to take GF crackers so I can eat the cheese.
  • lshender
    lshender Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can't eat seeds and nuts either so a lot of the flours are out for me. The one lesson that was most important was, when you do buy the GF junk food stay away from just rice flour (and Kinkkinik generally - worst excuse for a donut e-ver) Glutino, Aleia, Schar, Udi's are the best. And for my fellow Jews - Udi's bagels are good rolls. Glutino bagels don't insult the lox.
  • lshender
    lshender Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found eating gluten free in London was easier than at home. Just tell the hostess you're Celiac. They sent a food guide to my table to help me order in London. Hopefully you'll find the same in Paris.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for this post! Lots of helpful info and sites. I'm looking up recipes on the celiac site right now! Made me want apple pie lol.
  • LimeHatKitty
    LimeHatKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally love tamari instead of gf soy sauces - the taste is much more complex and sweet, and is especially awesome on sushi!

Also, I LOOOOVE "The Cake Doctor Bakes: Gluten Free" for super easy special occasion cakes. All of them come out amazing, but I always set the timer for about 5 min less than her baking time just to check. I usually end up using the lower number on her baking times. No one notices the cakes are gluten free as long as you don't overbake them! :)
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well this is all new to me and I have severe IBS also ,I am sure as time goes on it will get easier,but right now I seem to always have that small amount of food with gluten in it,,,,,I will learn!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Two other blogs/websites that didn't get mentioned:
    Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom
    Gluten Free on A Shoestring

Advice I didn't get that I wish I had:
    If your server doesn't immediately know what gluten or celiac is- then your food is not going to come gluten free. They will likely not understand the importance of cross contamination and will use dirty hands to prepare and serve your plate. The staff's general awareness/education on your plite corresponds to the likelihood of getting sick. Not always true but I dont really eat anymore at places anymore that havent trained their servers about food allergies.

If the ingredient is modified, it's safer to just avoid it. A lot of "modified" food are modified with wheat. Same goes for "maltodextrin" - it can come from corn, wheat, barley, etc. If it doesnt list the source its not safe for sensitive people unless its in packaging that clearly is labelled GF.

Grocery shopping with take three times longer and you will walk away with less food. Plan ahead and plan your meals so you actually walk away with food that can turn into a meal. Just avoid the aisles unless you actually need a food item. Gluten friendly items are mostly around the perimeter of the store- fruits, veggies, meat, dairy.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Advice I didn't get that I wish I had:
    If your server doesn't immediately know what gluten or celiac is- then your food is not going to come gluten free. They will likely not understand the importance of cross contamination and will use dirty hands to prepare and serve your plate. The staff's general awareness/education on your plite corresponds to the likelihood of getting sick. Not always true but I dont really eat anymore at places anymore that havent trained their servers about food allergies.

Worth repeating. When I find a restaurant that is run by someone who has celiac disease, I go there again and again. The internet is a great tool for researching ahead of time when you travel. I've found gluten free food in some of the most out-of-the-way places.

The worst part of going gluten free, for me, was figuring out which medications contain gluten.
  • heatherdonovan3
    heatherdonovan3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What was the tasty gluten free pizza that you found? I haven't found one I love yet. Are there any deep dish gluten free pizzas? That's what I really miss.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    What was the tasty gluten free pizza that you found? I haven't found one I love yet. Are there any deep dish gluten free pizzas? That's what I really miss.
    Yes... find GF flour that you like and make the dough yourself... and put your cheese and veggies and meat (or whatever) on it from there.... actually READING directions was key... cook the crust FIRST... then recook with ingredients on top. Best pizza ever. I am so glad I can have pizza every now and again and it doesn't make me SICK or BLOATED...... *win*
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree, and let me just add that Chocolate Covered Katie has good HEALTHY recipes and she has a seciton for Gluten Free.

Udi's Pizza crusts are my FAVE!!!

Some of the stuff that is marketed as gluten free is just plain NASTY!!! My dog wouldn't even eat it.

Add me if you like.

Sharon
  • sarahpops77
    Options
    I went gluten free for 8 weeks sick of being fobbed off by many doctor's, and I was totally amazed by the outcome how fit and healthy and good I looked and felt in a very long time :-). So yesterday I returned back to the doctors and with a bit of pushing and being firm I glad to be finally sent for blood tests but the down side is that I have to eat all the food again for two weeks which was masking me bad :-( , but hopefully at the end of it I will get the answers I need and start a fresh and get back on track to that new happy me again.... Would love to find friends or any advice as I'm new to all this would be greatly appreciated , ie foods GF recipes and general wellbeing .
  • shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Newbie in the group....and 8 day newbie to gluten free. Great info! Thanks!
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I make my own Pizza. Believe it or not Pilsbury make a decent GF dough that I use. Than you can mix and match your own toppings. Believe it or not I switched my kids over on the pizza to eating mine and they like it better.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Pamela's pancake mix is great for pancakes, scones, and waffles, and, unlike GF Bisquick, it does not contain sugar as a major ingredient.

I empathize about not being able to find sunflower seeds that are gluten free. There are so many things that should be gluten free and are not because of cross contamination. I hate it when I miss some tiny little warning somewhere on a box, until after I've bought something.

I miss Pearl River soy sauce. Soy sauce made without any wheat doesn't taste as rich. I keep an eye out for soy sauce brewed with rice instead of wheat, but I haven't found any.

I know this is an older post, but still... I agree Pamela's mixes are great - my hubby makes us pancakes on Sunday mornings while I laze in bed. He likes them too and doesn't need to be GF.
    I take it you are not eating raw hulled sunflower seeds as they ARE GF. It's the roasted or seasoned ones in the shells that aren't.

For soy sauce, I use Bragg's aminos, tastes like regular ss but labelled GF. I also use San-J sauces since they are also GF and taste good if I need a change - I like the Thai Peanut Style Sauce.
    Liana
  • SCHippieChick
    SCHippieChick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I realize you posted this almost a year ago but THANK YOU!! My son LOVEs making cakes from the Cake Doctor books. I will definitely be buying the GF book.
  • tlog73
    tlog73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! this thread has been very helpful to me. I am just starting out in the GF world.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    ..really like Coconut Aminos to use anywhere soy / wheat is called for,even on salads.Read somehere that Tamari,& or Brags..makes Naturaly fermented MSG...BEING highly Sensitive.. the Coconut Aminos have No reactions here.Hope this may help someone.
  • jeng112
    jeng112 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiacs. I carry around GlutenEase with DPP-IV Activity for when I accidentally ingest gluten or I'm unsure if cross contamination has occurred. I helps to break down gluten and I don't get gluten cravings after eating gluten.