Pro Tips:

Options
2»

Replies

• rasmtazberry24
    rasmtazberry24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the DH form of celiacs which causes a blistery intense itchy rash I have been gluten free for almost a year. At first it's hard but then when you start to feel better it gets easier but we all still have our days we miss certain foods. I struggle with getting enough vitimans and really wish I had a love for veggies. Prepackaged GF foods make me gain weight super fast. Anyone have any suggestions to enjoying veggies.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have the DH form of celiacs which causes a blistery intense itchy rash I have been gluten free for almost a year. At first it's hard but then when you start to feel better it gets easier but we all still have our days we miss certain foods. I struggle with getting enough vitimans and really wish I had a love for veggies. Prepackaged GF foods make me gain weight super fast. Anyone have any suggestions to enjoying veggies.

Use all kinds of interesting spices on your veggies - curry powder (make sure it's GF or mix up your own), ginger on carrots, fresh mint on peas, fresh or dried basil with tomatoes, squash with a sprinkle of nutmeg etc. You can always use butter on them, and yogourt for a tangy sauce. Do a search on allrecipes.com for the veggie in question and just sub any gluten type ingredients for GF stuff.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We love our veggies in stir frys and stews/soups. We also like them hidden in things. For example, I have a spaghetti sauce recipe from my mom that uses squash as the main base. It is great because you don't taste the squash and it can be canned, so we get to use peak-season veggies but still enjoy a great sauce.

We really like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza dough mix. I wet my hands with water to spread the dough out, and it makes huge pizzas. The rise time may vary depending on your humidity though - on dry days, I leave it to rise up to 20 minutes longer.

We also tend to use the word "allergy" at restaurants when going for the first time. In our experience, most people tend to treat it like a peanut allergy when we use the term "gluten allergy" - it helps avoid the cross-contamination issue.

Shar is our favorite brand! We found GF sandwich bread from them that lasts all week. It's expensive, but worth it so this full-time woman doesn't have to give up a saturday making bread that will last 3 days before it's inedible. The hubby also loves Omission and Redbridge as GF beers. Omission has the gluten removed after brewing normally, and Redbridge is made with sorghum instead of wheat, rye, or barley.
  • misslynn1976
    Options
    I don't have a gluten allergy but my 1 year old son does. At first it wasn't so hard because he was on baby food but now that he has started table foods I find myself making the same food every week. I would like to go gluten free also to improve my health and so I don't have to make two different meals everyday. The most frustrating thing I have found so far is that you have to read the back of everything that doesn't state in big bold letters gluten free, now my grocery shopping takes twice as long.
  • GFDawn
    GFDawn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for wanting to be involved in your son's eating habits but honestly if you don't need to be GF then there really is no medical reason to do it. Eating less processed food is always a good thing and replacing one for another kind is merely defeating the purpose. I've found that eating healthier means more fresh foods so you don't have to worry about labels. Besides the food replacement is just so expensive anyways. Have you considered getting a really nice blender and making fresh soups, smoothies and casseroles?
    You're already taking the steps to eating healthier by reading the labels. Besides we all need to be more aware of what we're eating these days. Just sayin'!
  • CuriousCarrotTop
    Options
    What was the tasty gluten free pizza that you found? I haven't found one I love yet. Are there any deep dish gluten free pizzas? That's what I really miss.

Freschetta's gfree pizza is so good that when I first made it, I thought I had accidentally swapped it with one of my brother's wheat crust ones! I had to dig out the box to make sure. It tastes just like any "normal" wheat flour thin crust. They're sold pre-made and frozen.

I also really love Daiya's pizzas. Not only are they gluten free, but they also lack other things like dairy and eggs (and even more, the list is too long to remember) which I love because my stomach gets upset super easily.
  • FitFoodieFla
    FitFoodieFla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful, thank you all. I love Udi's bread, pizzas and pizza crusts. Otherwise I tend to just eat non-gluten foods for the most part. Glutton has some decent stuff, too. I was off gluten for a few years following an elimination diet that showed it was obviously an issue for me. But then I had to reintroduce it to have a celiac test recently (negative) and felt awful! I'd rather feel great than eat gluten! It was a great reminder.
  • angierosso
    angierosso Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been GF free for 10 years. My last biopsy showed my stomach lining completely healed. You can recover your health but need to be strict about everything. There are so many more products available now than there was 10 years ago when I got diagnosed and no one even knew what GF meant at a restaurant. It is so much easier now. I am glad this has come of age.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    These are the things I wish I'd have known when I was first diagnosed, it would have made the transition so much easier.

1. No liquid smoke unless labelled gluten free

2. No items labelled 'modified' unless it specifies what was modified and it isn't wheat

3. Aim to cook from scratch to start with and only look for one or two packaged foods each time you shop or it'll take hours to get round the supermarket

4. Expect to find other things you are intolerant to (1 have 9 intolerances)

5. Avoid MSG (it has the highest chance of also making you react) so no Chinese takeaway unless they don't use MSG in the restaurant

6. If the waiter/waitress doesn't know what you are talking about don't eat there

7. Contact restaurants/hotels before going to give them a chance to have the correct ingredients in to provide you with suitable food

8. Always check the labels of your packaged food as they can change the recipe or environment the goods are made in so they are no longer safe to eat (Cadburys)

9. Even if it would be classed as naturally gluten free still check the label for gluten if it is packaged ie frozen veg (yes seriously some has wheat in the ingredients!)

10. Carry emergency food with you when travelling so you can eat safely if stuck i.e 9 Bars, rice crackers, GF dehydrated foods, etc. (I still carry a 9Bar everywhere with me and dehydrated foods when going abroad after 6 years 'just in case')

11. Expect to hate your situation/feel sorry for yourself at different times even if you feel absolutely great. It's like a grieving process losing all the 'easy to eat' foods that everyone else can eat

12. Skip the added calories and have lettuce in place of bread (although GF bread has started to improve it will never be bread as the taste is completely different)

13. You can lose friends over it as they see it as 'too much hassle' to accommodate your change in diet. They weren't real friends anyway

14. Get your family checked (blood relations) but only if they want to, don't push it

15. You're not alone
  • stewartstory
    stewartstory Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have celiac and totally agree that almost all gluten-free bread has improved but will never taste like real bread. I miss real bread so much. Then about two weeks ago, I discovered that La Brea Bakery (I'm in California; not sure if the brand is national) now makes gluten-free white and multi-grain sandwich loaves. They were pricey but I thought I'd give them a try as this is such a good bakery. To my amazement, I can eat the bread soft - I have NEVER been able to eat any other brand and even pretend it tasted like bread unless I toasted it. For the first time in years, I had a sandwich on soft white bread. It was wonderful. Obviously, white bread has its own junk food issues, but it's still great to keep a loaf of this in the freezer for when I'm feeling left out on on the bread thing.
  • LittleAppleAndBean
    LittleAppleAndBean Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been told for years it would be a good idea to go gluten free. Im starting off easy just slowly working out gluten. I need good but HEALTHY recipes. Also Im finding GF bread is really really expensive in my area. Does anyone have any bread recipes for me? Like for loaves for sandwiches and breakfast toast? My digestive issues have gotten significantly worse sense the pregnancy and birth of my twins. Its miserable sometimes
  • canadjineh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I only use 1 loaf of bread every 5 weeks or so and it's always toasted. If I want to wrap some sandwich filling it goes in a sturdy romaine lettuce leaf or in a corn tortilla, or I scoop celery sticks or cucumber or zucchini coins into stuff like tuna with avocado or Indian Hot Lime Pickle, or egg salad 'sandwich filling'. I honestly don't miss bread or cereal much. I also like Que Pasa blue corn organic tortilla chips and Mary's Seed Crackers for dipping but none of those are a help with weight loss. If you are trying to lose weight while doing GF you are better to stay away from most of the grains. Sometimes my DH makes GF baked waffles (Pamela's Baking Mix is the best brand) and I use that for fruit & yogourt filled 'sandwiches.'
    You could google GF baking for better ideas if you really need the bread.
  • Stasi14
    Stasi14 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I know this was posted 9 years ago but as I love pancake as may other Gluten Free people I wanted to post a recipe for anyone in this Group who love pancakes https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/how-to-make-banana-pancakes/ If you want more GF recipe there is more on the site just make sure you use the search bar to find them as this site doesn’t have Gluten Free category.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Stasi14 wrote: »
    I know this was posted 9 years ago but as I love pancake as may other Gluten Free people I wanted to post a recipe for anyone in this Group who love pancakes https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/how-to-make-banana-pancakes/ If you want more GF recipe there is more on the site just make sure you use the search bar to find them as this site doesn’t have Gluten Free category.

2 Cups of all-purpose flour in the recipe is definitely NOT gluten free. Have you tried this recipe with any gluten free flours? How did it work out and what flour or mix did you use?