Beat the binge technique - try it for a week & report back

Off the back of a 3 day binge & almost 5lb weight gain, I realised I had to do something. I'm already logging everything I eat, even on a binge, but it clearly hasn't stopped me.

So, I'm trying something new. I'm still planning on logging in MFP plus posting in this group, but I feel that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I've downloaded this app
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/evernote-food/id481893372?mt=8
It's called Evernote Food & I plan to use it to keep a photo log of everything that I put in my mouth.

I'm hoping it'll work for a few reasons;

- it'll make me pause before eating, for the time it takes to take the photo anyway
- I plan to make the food more tetra five before eating it. Often on a binge, I'll eat handfuls of things, eat out of the box etc. using this method I'll find a nice plate for the pic, it's all about stalling.
- I think I'll be far more shocked by my binge eating in a photo log
- I'm less likely to eat anything "disgusting". Eg, normally I'd pick icing off a cake to eat, I'd log it, but I'd still do it. Using this method, I'd have to photograph that bit of icing. I'm already thinking to myself even now, "icing, yummy! A visual record of some icing? I'll pass thanks"

Does anyone else fancy giving this a go with me?

Replies

• Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    I'm pleased to say that day 1 of this went very well.it made me pause & photograph enforce scoffing. As a result, I made more of an effort with presentation of my food before filling my face with it.

I'm also recording where I eat. My aim is to finish with images of nice food recorded as eaten at the table, not snap shots of handfuls of food eaten standing.

Anyone else going to give it a try?
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    i love that you are doing it. I'm tempted to try, but honestly, I feel like I can't do one.more.thing. This is controlling me in a lot of ways, and I think (for me) it would just give it more power.

I'm totally interested in hearing how it goes for you and in NO WAY am I trying to discourage you. :)
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Must say, it's going quite well so far! I've been binging quite often & I always manage to log (even when the calories run into thousands) but I felt I was becoming desensitised. The long lists were no longer shocking me into stopping!

So far the visual log is working really well. I'm taking a minute before eating to arrange the food and take the picture. This pause in itself is helping I think.

Plus, it's put me off eating anything that might look "disgusting". I would normally pick icing off cakes and eat it on its own, but the idea of having to have a photo of a hand full of icing in my log has stopped me from doing it.

Fingers crossed it continues to keep me on track!
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    thats awesome!!
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Cool idea,

Wishing you well with it.
  • esballet
    esballet Posts: 51 Member
    I really like the sound of this! Downloading the app now:)
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    I'm in!

EDIT: I just installed it, but I'm not really up to posting this stuff to facebook. lol.
    I wonder if there's a way to share it on here?
  • addict1105
    addict1105 Posts: 1
    I'm in. I think it's a cool idea. Maybe if I stop long enough to take a picture I'll think about what I'm about to eat. Seems to be the problem for me. Once I get it into my head to binge it's like I have amnesia and nothing else matters. Totally checked out.