LBM Question

Options
WDEvy
WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
I take monthly measurements for progress and keep tabs on my (estimated) body fat % and LBM with the fat2fit military body fat calculator. I understand that this calculator is not 100% accurate.

For the last 8 months my body fat has steadily go down 0.8-1.5% monthly ( I started with a VERY high bf%) and my LBM has been staying within the same half poud as well, this is until today. When I put in my numbers in the calculator today, my bf% when down 1.2% but my LBM went up 1.8 lbs.

Is that even possible while eating at a deficit? Is the calculator wonky?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you lift and if so, how long have you been lifting?

Although, the answer to the above is a little moot as, ignoring the inaccuracies of the online calculators (and how we take measurements), LBM includes everything not fat, so it also includes water (not just muscle). Water weight fluctuations change LBM while not adding muscle, so it is very possible your LBM increased on a deficit.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That actually answers my question. I didn't think it was muscle mass but I didn't know what else was taken into accounts for the LBM number in those calculators.

I've been lifting for over 5 months but not consistently enough to add muscle mass ( plus I'm eating at a deficit so I can't put on muscle.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    After 5 months any 'newb' gains would have been used up so it sounds like while LBM has increased, it would be due to water weight being included in the LBM numbers.

Looks like you are doing a good job of preserving muscle mass though :happy:
This discussion has been closed.