I am getting better...

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I spent the last 3 weeks jogging around the block (I was on-call at work and had to be within a few minutes from home). The route is a hilly one and I looked a this time as a hill-training experience.
Today was my first jog on level ground again and I'm running longer and faster! I'm now running a 13.5 minute mile. Still slow, I know but faster, so I'm happy. Also, running outdoors isn't as hard as a few weeks ago. Before I know it, I'll be running a full 5K along the riverfront. That would be spectacular!

Replies

• KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!! I've been told the way to get faster is sprints and hills, not longer distance. So that's what I've been working on, too. Today was the first time I ran 3.1 miles straight in a long time (four or five weeks?), and I've dropped 1:22 off my mile time on the same route I ran before. I felt so much better and stronger.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm down to 13 minute miles - I'm not too much faster on flat ground than I am on hills. I just don't have the fast twitch muscle fibers to make the difference.

Now, here's my confession of shame: I can do hills outside. I can do long runs of 5 miles outside. I can go faster or slower outside. But...on the treadmill...it has to be completely flat or I feel like I'm dying. There. I said it. I know that a "1" incline is supposed to be equivalent to the work you do outside, but it's just not. It's like an uphill torture chamber where you never get to recover.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    LOL! I feel the opposite, Varda.
    On a treadmill, a zero incline feels like I'm running downhill; an incline of 1 feels flat. I can do 5K on the treadmill and feel like I can do more; it's a comfortable jog.
    Outside, any hill feels like a mountain. Outdoors, I can now jog about 10-15 minutes but then have to walk for a minute (:embarassed: ).
    However, outdoors is much more interesting. The view changes, the air is fresh, the people are so friendly. I enjoy the outdoors more, although it feels like a lot more work while jogging.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hills are totally awful and you feel like you are going to die. You concentrate on quick, light steps with no force, and power through the incline and then you reach a level place or a downhill and take it easy and it's the most wonderful feeling in the world. You catch your breath and your body fills with joy that you just mastered a hill you wouldn't drive if it was icy.

The real hard parts are the places where there's a bit of an upgrade. You don't realize there's even an incline until you start hating life and questioning your decision to become a runner. So, you slow back and look for where it evens out and pace yourself to that point. It's all a lot of fun.

And then you hit a nice flat section and you're like a machine. You feel like your stomach muscles are made of iron and your legs can fly forever.

I'm still a bit timid of downhills - I feel like I'm going to fall - especially if it's wet.

I'll tell you what though, the next time I'm in the gym, I'm commandeering the fan and pointing it straight at me. Maybe I'll try an incline of .5. Or maybe not. :) We'll see how it goes.

I really wish we could go running together :(
  • PaytraB
    Options
    That would be fun, Varda! I'd love to go running with you.

I had one of those "nice flat section" moments yesterday. I was listening to my audiobook and suddenly realized that I was speeding along (yes...speeding; quite fast for me) on a flat portion and not feeling any strain or pain. I was flying and then I really enjoyed it. A very awesome feeling!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love reading your descriptions. Although I'm getting faster and stronger, I am NOT poetic like that when I run. A lot giddy afterwards, perhaps, but not poetic.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Awww. Thanks!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!! I've been told the way to get faster is sprints and hills, not longer distance. So that's what I've been working on, too. Today was the first time I ran 3.1 miles straight in a long time (four or five weeks?), and I've dropped 1:22 off my mile time on the same route I ran before. I felt so much better and stronger.

This is very encouraging to me! I live in a hilly neighborhood, but I avoid the really big hills on my normal route. Maybe I will switch it up tomorrow and do a hill work/interval training combo.