Sitting extended trots motivates one to lose weight

Options
goodtf
goodtf Posts: 23 Member
Since my menopausal weight gain of the last 10 years, I have found it has greatly greatly affected my riding. Sitting an extended trot and feeling like a big sack of potatoes was my breaking point last year and I vowed to not allow myself a recognized dressage show this year unless i took off, for starters...20 lbs. Showed 5 times this year (today was the 5th) in schooling shows, got off 22 lbs so far, in reality, i have more to go, but it has definitely helped. Nothing like a video of yourself showing (last year) to really give yourself a wakeup call

Replies

• jordank_32
    jordank_32 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have to loose my baby weight.....my breeches do not button comfortably! I'm telling myself that I will not splurge $175+ on larger breeches.
    PS-are we riding the same horse! LOL
  • jkegvsu2
    jkegvsu2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is true! I had a lesson the other night and I told them my goal was to lose weight so I would be able to sit the trot and not look like a mess! Happy to find a dressage board!
  • jordank_32
    Options
    I have a new SWB mare by Briar 899 and I'm finding sitting her mediums are Soooooo hard. I'm hoping starting back up on myfitnesspal is going to help. I need to start pushing myself in these winter months.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is the time to lose the weight and drop the stirrups. Longe lessons, too!
  • jordank_32
    Options
    Just an update.. my sitting trot was going great, until I found out we are having baby #2! I'm 7 months along..almost 8 months and my sitting trot is just not possible anymore :( I need my 3rd level scores to get my Bronze so my showing this summer is not quite possible at the moment!
  • thelitas
    thelitas Posts: 18
    Options
    Jordank- congrats on the baby!

Just curious, does your mare carry her tension in her neck? My SWB does, and for his medium & extended trot, if I really get him using his shoulder and relaxing his poll without falling on the forehand, I've been able to sit them without issue.

Also, a really, REALLY little bit of standing in the stirrups (you know, like a half inch out of the saddle) for the medium & extended trot while wearing a lower level coat isn't easily noticed. Not a way to do it every time, but will make it look a little more crisp for shows.