Totally New to C25K, Started Today

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
I was inspired earlier this week to run a 5K, and I found out about C25K thanks to the helpful folks here at MFP. I bought new running shoes, and today was my very first day of training. What a handy app! I signed up for two 5Ks at Disney World in September and November, which gives me plenty of time to prepare. I plan to enter one in the summer, once I'm all the way through the training. I did my first session today, and even though I wasn't too fond of the running intervals, it was doable.

I've never, ever been a runner, and I've hated running all my life. My legs are short, and we had to do so much lap running in grade school. I never could keep up and soon didn't even want to try. Now that I'm almost 50, I'm coming into it with a whole new attitude. I'm going to conquer something I hate and get healthier while doing it. I've always loved walking and am a fast fitness walker, so really, running shouldn't be unattainable.

I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution along with C25K to make sure I still get in some strength training to tone up the flabby bits. My parents both had multiple heart attacks and died in their mid-50s, and my brother had a massive stroke in his mid-50s, so that's my big motivation. Part of it is personal accomplishment, but it's also a desire to break the family trend of unhealthiness. My grandparents lived into their 80s and were healthy until the end, so I need to tap into their healthy genes.

Replies

• jacatkins
    jacatkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi sunshinestate!
    I too started the C25K today. I'm definately not a runner - never have been... and i really find running on the treadmill such a bore!! So i was determined to make a go of it. I have had the app on my phone for months... and today.. i started. I got up at 5:30am, made my way to the gym and got going. By the end of it, i thought i had run lots... but i later worked out, it was only 9minutes!

I'm incorporating this program into my already gym routine, or Tuesday/Thursday is 30 min personal training and Saturday mornings is 1 hour boot camp. Incorporating the 3 days of C25K into my week, should give me the balance i need to lose the weight i want to, become overall fitter and hopefully move into the goal of being a PT myself. I have a short term goal of looking absolutely wonderful for my wedding (whenever that happens).

Hope we can move through this journey together!

Jac
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Awesome! It's nice to have someone on the same program to offer mutual support. It sounds like you've got a really good balance of exercise going. That's what I'm trying to do myself by combining C25K with Jillian. I would love to be toned as well as build some endurance, so hopefully this will do it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting C25k! It really is the biggest step.

I HATED running though I taught myself to race walk and did a few 5ks before having two babies in two years. I started the C25k app because I needed more bang for my buck and graduated in February.

Trust me when I say that running is a totally different experience when you know how to do it. I live for my run days now.

I'd also encourage running outside whenever possible. The treadmill really is boring.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I know I would hate treadmill runs. Thankfully it's not too hot or rainy yet in FL so I should be able to train outside. I've always loved walking, so it's ironic that I hate running. I'm really excited about turning that around and finishing some 5Ks.