How did you get into clean eating?

Options
antitek
antitek Posts: 121 Member
I was wondering what prompted others to change to clean eating.

For my family it was not because of anything I had read or allergies. It was simply because I love to eat. This prompted me to cook. I hate spending money on restaurant food when I can make something just as good in my own kitchen for a fraction of the cost. The internet is full of chefs teaching what they know for free. I am still learning. My focus is not on recipes, it is on technique. Preparing and cooking food that is at optimum flavor and texture. This means I need fresh ingredients. As far as GMOs go, well, heirloom vegetables flat out taste better.

Yeah, clean eating happened because we love to eat.

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I started slowly after listening to Jillian Michaels podcast, she's a big proponent of clean eating, even though she pimps for Popchips, and those things are not clean. Then I saw a documentary about what goes in our food, that prompted me to kick it a notch, cleaned out my pantry, started collecting recipes and meal planning.

I hate when people say its "calories in and calories out", for me it wasn't about losing weight, it is more about my overall well being.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started in 2007 when tried the McDougall free 12 day meal plan. It cleaned up my eating well enough that I was able to quit taking statins for my cholesterol. I am not a strict McDougaller, but I tend to follow many of his recommendations much of the time. That results in what I consider clean eating.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed Jillian Michaels podcasts last year when I first began my fitness journey. She had so many good tips on fitness and nutrition that really helped me. I haven't listened so much since you got the kids. She went from not being too understanding about women as mothers and their responsibilities and how it affects their time to stay fit. To quite a whiner about how hard it is to be a mother. I have to say I love the switch and know she'll get a handle on it, but i just don't enjoy listening to it so much.