C25K ~ Week 1, Day 1 ...here I go!

Options

Replies

• sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just completed week 3, day 1, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. It helped that we had a cool spell, which meant it was only in the low 70s. I worried about the three minute jogs, but even though they were far from easy, I was able to make it through them and still have some energy left. Looking forward to my next run this week.
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WELCOME NEWBIES!!! Feel free to add me if you still need some more C25K buddies :happy:

I just did W3D1 this morning....wow, I can't even believe I made it through the 3 minutes!! I seriously threw a fist pump in the air after I made it through the first 3 min round, lol! I just went into it thinking that I'd do the best I could and go from there. I was for sure winded after the runs, but wasn't DYING and am really looking forward to my next run!!!
  • Melli118_14
    Melli118_14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 for me today feel free to add me!
  • ttoomey27
    ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks gals for letting me know how W3D1 went for you. I am inspired and I can do this! I will let you know how it goes tonight.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    You totally summed up my feelings! I dreaded starting week 3, but even though it wasn't a walk in the park, it was totally doable and it feels like such an accomplishment. Dare I say I'm starting to be able to envision myself running a whole 5K? It's just a vision at this point, but at one time I would have said it was impossible. Not anymore.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, I just did W1D1. I have not run since forced cross country in grade school, and was very trepidatious. I won't say it was easy; but I will say it was easier than I thought it would be. 7 out of 10 on the "giving it my all" scale. Fingers are crossed I'll continue to find it challenging, but not overly so.
  • ttoomey27
    Options
    W3D1 in the books! The second 3 minute jog felt like it would never end, but I kept going and felt so proud afterwards! During the cool down I started to get sick to my stomach. . I'm thinking it was unrelated to the run though because 3 hours later I'm still not feeling so great.
  • Lindse121
    Lindse121 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started the program on Monday and did W1D2 yesterday! I have NEVER been a runner and we are pretty out of shape so I know it's going to be really tough. I found the first day much easier than the 2nd but nevertheless we did it! I actually wanted to stop but he kept me going! It was also a LOT hotter yesterday so that didn't help. I am really excited about doing this. Just wanted to say "hi" and find out about y'alls experiences and maybe get some support here! Add me if you'd like! :) GO C25K!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    7 out of 10 on the "giving it my all" scale.

You'll probably want to dial that back to 5 in the next couple of weeks. Congratulations Zanne and Lindsey on starting!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    7 out of 10 on the "giving it my all" scale.

You'll probably want to dial that back to 5 in the next couple of weeks. Congratulations Zanne and Lindsey on starting!

I actually think it will dial back itself as I develop muscle memory for running movements. Right now - it's all so new! But maybe you're right - I am super competitive with myself, so I'll keep "go easier" in mind. I'm really good at listening to my body and not pushing myself beyond my capabilities. Plus, I do NOT want to injure myself (and that's always at the forefront of everything I do), because I'm not 20 any more and injuries take longer to heal. Plus, I don't want to lose any of my weight-loss momentum. I'm really focused to get it done so I can get into maintenance and start eating more. :D
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I did much better than I imagined I would on my run this morning (week 3, day 2) I got out while it was still cool and stayed on a shady trail. While it wasn't easy, I felt good enough afterward to stay out for a while longer and do a few more short jogs. I never, ever though I'd be running willingly, but now I look forward to my C25K days. Just hopes that keeps up for the rest of the weeks.

I notice that I'm usually fine with my breathing, and my legs are the things that want to quit. But if I get my mind distracted with something and go on autopilot, then there's no problem. It's only when I think about it that I want to quit.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I did much better than I imagined I would on my run this morning (week 3, day 2) I got out while it was still cool and stayed on a shady trail. While it wasn't easy, I felt good enough afterward to stay out for a while longer and do a few more short jogs. I never, ever though I'd be running willingly, but now I look forward to my C25K days. Just hopes that keeps up for the rest of the weeks.

I notice that I'm usually fine with my breathing, and my legs are the things that want to quit. But if I get my mind distracted with something and go on autopilot, then there's no problem. It's only when I think about it that I want to quit.

This is why a lot of people listen to music or audiobooks.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    This is why a lot of people listen to music or audiobooks.
    I listen to music, but I don't find that it occupies my mind enough. I listen to Clark Howard podcasts when I walk, so I might try them for running. I haven't yet, though, because in a way it's relaxing to let my mind just wander in its own directions while running. I might turn to Clark in the later weeks, though, if I can't focus on anything else other than "Please let this end!"
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just did W3D1 and I was in the same mind frame. I struggled last week jogging a minute and a half all three days, and thought I'd really struggle doing twice that this week. It WAS hard, but I was able to do it :) The good thing is you only have to get through it twice!

This is what I tell myself too! Only 2 reps! Easy peasy! LOL

I did W3D3 yesterday and it was good! I finally went and got fitted and gait analyzed for shoes. The shoes I had were "running" shoes from Payless. I went to Dave's Running Shop and it was awesome. I was told I pronate my feet. I did know that because I'm in school to be a physical therapist assistant and we just learned about something called calcaneal valgus which means that my calcaneus (heel bone) curves out a bit. LOL There's your anatomy lesson for the day ;) Anyway, she found a shoe for me that has a gel type support on the outer part of the heel and more firm on the inner part. AND...it just so happened that there was a huge sale! We have the Glass City Marathon every year and shortly after, Dave's has a big sale. So I got my $150 pair of shoes for $90. :bigsmile: Now I want to run all the time! :laugh: But I know I have to have my rest periods so I will wait till monday!
  • minnndymae
    Options
    W4D1 in the books!!! Ya ya ya! lol I RAN FOR 5 MINUTES STRAIGHT!!!! Surprised the pants right off of me! :tongue: I feel so good about this! It was hard, but I almost felt as though I could have gone further (if I had to!) which sounds completely crazy to me! It was for sure my legs that wanted to stop first and then it was my mind.....I had to keep saying "okay, I'm going to make it to the end of the block, and then some maybe" or "get to that tree and you'll be almost there" and every time I'd go past the marker and know I could go further. I had to just set a goal and then it got my mind off of it...I think, idk, but it helped get me through it anyway :smile:

I've also, for the 1st time, seen a difference on the scale!! wooohooo! Who doesn't like that! lol Last Friday (I weigh in every Friday) I was 3 lbs down!!! My clothes are fitting a bit nicer as well, always a good thing! :drinker:

Happy MONDAY all!! Hope you have a great week!!
  • ttoomey27
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and finishing W4D1 Mindy (is it Mindy?)! I am so glad that you are a day ahead of me in the program so everytime I start freaking out about a new week, I can come here and get inspired by you! :)

I've gotta say, I'm not confident about completing that 5 minutes. Last night didn't go so well. My legs were screaming at me, but I pushed through (again). Probably had a lot to do with the fact that I had gone on an hour long hike earlier in the day.
  • minnndymae
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and finishing W4D1 Mindy (is it Mindy?)! I am so glad that you are a day ahead of me in the program so everytime I start freaking out about a new week, I can come here and get inspired by you! :)

I've gotta say, I'm not confident about completing that 5 minutes. Last night didn't go so well. My legs were screaming at me, but I pushed through (again). Probably had a lot to do with the fact that I had gone on an hour long hike earlier in the day.

Yup, Mindy it is. & you?? :flowerforyou:

Thank you!! & I'm so glad that I can help! You'll do great on your W4D1, it'll be hard, but you'll make it too! My legs were screaming at me this moring too--I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow! But I'm looking forward to it, means I really worked it :bigsmile: Good luck & I can't wait to hear how it went!
  • Lindse121
    Lindse121 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, Mindy!! You should be so proud of yourself! The husband and I have W2D1 today with 90 seconds of running at a time, and am a little nervous. Ack! I was still struggling with 60 seconds last week. But I am determined to do it!

I've felt really great since starting this program last week. I know it's only been a short time but I'm sleeping better at night, have a lot more energy during the day and just overall feel really good. That is awesome! :) And I know it will only get better!

I was wondering and have seen mixed reviews regarding weight loss on this. I know it always comes down to calories in and out. I feel like I will lose weight....hopefully! I know I can if I track cals, keep exercising and hold myself accountable on MFP. It really does work. I can't wait to see what happens throughout the program!!

Hope y'all are doing well!! Good luck!! :)
  • ttoomey27
    Options
    Yup, Mindy it is. & you?? :flowerforyou:

Thank you!! & I'm so glad that I can help! You'll do great on your W4D1, it'll be hard, but you'll make it too! My legs were screaming at me this moring too--I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow! But I'm looking forward to it, means I really worked it :bigsmile: Good luck & I can't wait to hear how it went!

I'm Tabatha :happy:
    Thanks for the encouragement! A runner (just completed her first full marathon) friend of mine insists that I must get a foam roller to stretch out those muscles. I am sure I will break down and get one in the weeks to come. :wink:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    great job!