Stage 1 Results (and Questions)

Options
semira6
semira6 Posts: 36 Member
Hello!! I did it! I completed Stage 1 (and will seriously miss it!) I'm looking ahead to the rest of the Stages and they seem really hard...though I guess Stage 1 looked crazy when I first put my eyes on it.

Anyway, I've greatly enjoyed myself. Have lifted consistently Monday, Wednesday and Friday and seen strength gains throughout. However, as you will see I've also seen weight (and fat) gain so as a result I'm going to lower my calories slightly - just by 100 a day this week and then 100 a day the following week. This will place me in the range that the book's calculations suggest for fat loss....instead of the calculations I received based on my calorimeter test the doctor gave me. Let me know if you disagree based on the below.

Anyway, THE RESULTS!!

Weight
140lb -> 144.4lb

Inches
Waist -2.5"
Hips -0.6"
Bust -1"
Lower Arm -0.6"
Upper Arm -0"
Thigh +0.6"
Neck -0.6"
Wrist -0"
Total: 4.7" lost

Strength
Deadlifts 50lb -> 100lb
Shoulder press 10lb -> 20lb (each)
Lat pulldown 40lb -> 80lb (70lb with good form :) )
Lunges 20lb each (without being able to push back) -> 25lb each (and can push back easily)
Crunches 25lb -> 35lb (weighted swiss ball crunch)

Squats 55lb ->70lb
Push ups 45 degree (can't even do one real) -> all real on the floor!
Seated row 5lb -> 25lb (each hand - dumbbell bent over row); seated row machine 50lb -> 70lb (total)
Step ups 10lb -> 20lb w/ 8" step (each hand) -> 24" step and correct form (no use of back leg) :)
Jackknifes could barely do one -> all 15 without falling off

So excited!! My only question is regarding my planned calorie decrease. I really need to lose more fat and am freaking out a little that this program (while making me strong) is covering up the muscles I'm developing with more fat :(. Let me know what you think.

Woohoo!!

Replies

• semira6
    Options
    bump :(
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think decreasing would be ok..it's 100 calories....

I was told to use my strength gains as a measure...if you're getting stronger you're probably eating enough.

Excellent work

Cheers!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I would totally lower my calories if, after Stage 1, you haven't seen ANY fat loss.

I gained weight during the entire length I was on NROL4W....for me, the calorie-recommendations in the book were simply TOO MUCH. And, I'm tall!! 5'8". I was simply eating too much. Now that I have cut my calories back, beginning in October, 2012, I have been seeing steady decreasing body fat on my frame and all those muscles I work on are FINALLY showing through - IN SPADES!
  • bdetty
    bdetty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow! you lost 4.7" - congrats!!!
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great results! Congrats on finishing!

Why are you decreasing calories gradually? I've never heard of doing that, so I'm curious if there's a benefit.
  • semira6
    Options
    Thank you!

I'm only decreasing them because I'm gaining fat and I read somewhere that it's less of a shock to your system if you decrease them gradually (so your body lets go of the fat instead of thinking you're starving and it needs to keep it). Just going down a total of 200 calories a day. If I don't see strength gains in Stage 2 I'll increase the calories again.