spaghetti squash prep and season

Options
roadmapmaker
roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
Hi - so glad to find an interesting group. I often times 'over cook' my squash. My quick method is to microwave whole, but I don't like picking out the seed center. What is the appropriate way to cook this and does one cut it in half lengthwise or across the width?

Also what lighter seasoning should one use? For some reason the last one I picked up was smaller with full color but was just a bit bitter or maybe not totally ripe.

Thanks!

Replies

• roger711
    roger711 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok, spaghetti squash is easy for me. I will try and explain. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Like any winter squash, hacking it up takes muscle and a sharp knife. It's also a bit more work to scrape out the seeds and pulp when they are raw. Just get in there and cut it in half (lengthwise). You should have 2 halves. Scrape out the seeds and pulp as you would with any squash or pumpkin. Place it on a baking sheet and bake it rind side up for about 30 - 40 minutes or so.

When it is done, let it cool a bit so you can handle it a little and separate strands by running a fork through it in the "from stem to stern" direction. You will end up with long strands like spaghetti.

You can cook this in the microwave or even boil it, but I prefer the baking method best. Yields the most favor for me. Usually I just season it with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. The salt I use is Himalayan Pink Salt, because of its purity. But you can use a variety of seasonings. There are any number of salt free seasonings on the market. I also use it in recipes in place of actual pasta.

Hope this answers your question. Thank you for your post.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you!