water

Options
I have been doing the keto diet for close to a week now. My ketones are mod in am and small during the day. I want to know is water intake as important with this lifestyle as it is with other eating patterns? I try to get in 2 liters a day, do I need more?? And what about art. sweetners? i use stevia and sweet and low for my coffee and a little crystal light

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Your choice of artificial sweetener is not a factor in keto.

Yes, you need to drink a lot of water. Because keto is a very low carb diet your body will not retain as much water. Fat cells contain a significant amount of water. As you burn fat that water is released.

Everyone should drink a minimum of 64oz of water a day. That's 8 8oz cups of water. While losing weight you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water. If you weigh 150 lbs you would need to drink 75 oz of water a day. You need to drink more water while losing weight in order to flush out the extra waste your body is producing as it burns fat.
  • bushiwodemingzi
    bushiwodemingzi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For water - drink a lot. The easiest way that I found is that if your urine is clear, you should be okay.

For artificial sweeteners - normally the type of sweetener doesn't matter, but some people have had issues with some of them knocking them out of ketosis. If you aren't having any issues with them (keto strips coming back purple), then you should be okay.

For your coffee, have you tried a tablespoon of heavy cream in your coffee? The taste is actually quite sweet, maybe to the point where you don't have to add in extra sweetener with the added bonus of adding towards your fat macro for the day.