Hair

Options
jaw783
jaw783 Posts: 40 Member
Hi sistas,
You know they say we don't like to work because of our hair! In my case this is true! I would like to start doing 2 a days; but I don't because it takes to much time to manage it in the morning after it is wet from sweating. Aside from getting braids; can anyone offer any suggestions???

Replies

• biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for suggestions as well. I sweat A LOT and I like to wear my hair straight. I'm not interested in braids either.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I generally wrap my edges and go at it. Most of the sweat comes from my face and a bandana or wrap keeps it from my eyes.
  • joimichele
    joimichele Posts: 382
    Options
    Any protective style would work. Twists, bantu knots, sew-in...what type of hair do you have? Natural or relaxed?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot also, what I started doing was after I workout, put a little bit of shea butter in my hair and blow dry it. It gives me a few good days, before it starts getting heavy with sweat and product, then I just put it in a bun. Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'll probably start going natural.
  • jaw783
    Options
    I have long relaxed hair. I also sweat in the middle of my head and around my face which affects the edges. So after I leave the gym I would have to take a shower, blowdry and flat iron my hair. Which will take up to 2 hours at least if I want it lookiing right. I'm also not a fan of sew ins; I could try the buns but I wouldnt want to wear it everyday. I was able to manage when I had braids but I was trying to avoid those; makes my edges thin
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thats a tough situation with relaxed hair. I now wear my hair natural so I just co wash after my workout and let it air dry. I read online too that you can get natural astringent and cotton swap your scalp to get rid of the sweat, wear it in a bun and a scarf or sweat band around the edges. Others mention aligning your workout with your hair maintenance day. Days you only do strength I'm sure you don't sweat as much so if you do two days of cardio, leave them on days you have time to do your hair?

Oh heres a link one of many on the subject. m.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/hair-saving-gym-tricks-african-american-women
  • Starstamp
    Starstamp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

This is a struggle. But we cannot let this stop us from getting our workout on and Our bodies and health right.

I have extensions and I just switched to a curly look because I live in Florida and I workout two days a week on my lunch hour and I sweat. With my new curly look my hair always looks good and I still work out. In the winter months I do where my hair bone straight and I workout. The extensions can take being flat ironed everyday not my own hair. It feels really great when I am going out and I look good and my hair looks good as well. BUt not so much when you are a unhealthy mess with nice hair and nice clothes that you don't look good in......so .......make a choice and make the sacrifice for your hair looking ok everyday and all of you looking good when you want to look special and on special occasions or even on the weekends. Eventually you will get the working out and your hair right. I have.

Star
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have a sew in and all I do is put it up in a bun kinda style or as a pony tail and I'm good to go. I definitely needing to get something around my edges though, that way my perm around my edges last longer and so that sweat doesn't go into my eyes & burn it.
  • jaw783
    Options
    Thanks! that site was very helpful!! I'm going to try the dry shampoo. Never used it before!!
  • biggjenn
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Save Your Do"? I was thinking about investing in one.
  • jaw783
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Save Your Do"? I was thinking about investing in one.

I have never heard of it
  • biggjenn
    Options
    http://saveyourdo.com/

It's supposed to wick away the sweat and keep your "do" in tact longer.
  • jaw783
    Options
    HMMMMMM interesting
  • Carameldlux
    Carameldlux Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ugh...at this point,my hair is a mess from being stressed out from my job lose. So since I'm working out @ home I've been keeping mine under wraps lol or pulling it back. But there was actually a segment on a Stl news station on this. It suggested,wraps,braids,twists & pulling your hair up. Which I plan to get twists next.
  • jaw783
    Options
    i think im going to just look around for some up dos. its about to be hot anyway :smile: :wink:
  • DeevahLee
    DeevahLee Posts: 11
    Options
    I have long relaxed hair too. When I workout I make sure i put my hair up is a tight ponytail. Then as soon as I finish working out I put a little light pink mostuizer on my hair and wrap it tight. When I unwrapped it my hair looks good. It works for me. I workout at night so I good time to let the my hair dry completely through.

I have also pinned curled my hair and put a bandanna around my forehead and it worked to keep my curls in, when I had them.
  • Starstamp
    Starstamp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I will definately check it out.
  • jaw783
    Options
    I have long relaxed hair too. When I workout I make sure i put my hair up is a tight ponytail. Then as soon as I finish working out I put a little light pink mostuizer on my hair and wrap it tight. When I unwrapped it my hair looks good. It works for me. I workout at night so I good time to let the my hair dry completely through.

I have also pinned curled my hair and put a bandanna around my forehead and it worked to keep my curls in, when I had them.

Pincurls!!! Thats a great idea; I will be trying that!! Thanks
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had to break down and get some braids in. It is the easiest style to work out in. And summer time is approaching here in Korea, and it gets HOT! I need to be able to pull my hair up and go.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I throw a doo rag on and do the ponytail underneath too. I usually keep it braided but since I am overseas where it isn't as easy to get it braided I do the buns and ponytails too. I also find that when it is too sweaty in between washes I wrap it throw on a wig and go. I know a lot of people say wigs make them sweat more though but they work for me.

Off subject @MoRiv1986, where in Korea are you? I have been trying to get back over there for years. Just curious. :-)