Insanity and heavy lifting

Options
aliciab307
aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
Ok both together sounds insane but I wanted opinions. I wanted to start insanity in about 3 weeks. Right now I lift and do a bit of cardio. I was thinking of doing insanity and lifting heavy doing bi and tricep curls, lateral lifts and shoulder press. Insanity would be about 6 hours a week and I would lift 3 days a week. Would this be counteractive?
Another plan was to do insanity for 4 weeks take a rest week then resume lifting. I think I'd rather the latter but I dont want to lose much upper body strength. For me insanity killed my legs and only sometimes my upper body.

Just looking for a change of pace. I did 1 round of insanity and I got some good results but wasnt eating enough so wanted to try again with the proper fueling and see where it can get me.

Replies

• Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do you have to Upperbody workout from Insanity? Otherwise you could incorporate that workout in the routine.

If I recall you could replace 2 or 3 workouts a week with that one.

Maybe an idea?
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Upper body in insanity are planks, push ups and all upper body workouts revolve around that with the exception of air punches. I kinda wanted to do insanity as scheduled for 6 days a week. Maybe just doing the curls 2 sets/6 reps of my heaviest could be beneficial?
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There is a bonus workout for upperbody where you use weights. I came with the Deluxe package.
    I haven't done that one myself as I decided to go back to lifting after 2 rounds of Insanity.

You find a little bit of it here on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ66YplrZ6c
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Oh thank you! I will check it out
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think insanity and lifting is way too much. I could not imagine doing an insanity video on the same day or in between lifting days. and when I did insanity there is no way I could have lifted. You're not going to be able to put your all into lifting with insanity because the program already has a lot of resistance. I was sore every. single. day. during insanity. I know I am lifting as heavy as I possibly can-- and my legs are not sore at all today. But with insanity, it never let up.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    I think I just want to lift for strength purposes only. Whether2-3x/wk. mainly tri and bi ceps. Insanity covers the rest. I just want to continue curling my 30s when insanity is over with. Ill try it for the first week or so and see how it goes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd say the latter also, doing the program as desired, I think they do wise mix of what part of body is worked, to allow some recovery.

I'd throw the upper body on to whatever day IS also upper body, so that your lifting is given proper rest the day after.

Like don't do upper lifting one day, followed by Insanity the next day overloading the same muscles. Terrible chance for rest, recovery, and repair. Probably none, and you'll just see the lifting suffer, and the insanity.

But at least both on same day, like lifting first if that is most important to you, you get good rest day.

Of course, if Insanity doesn't do it like P90X does, my advice is out the window, probably can't be done. In which case just maintenance lift.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd do one or the other as to not overload muscles and get enough rest. Also to maximise the gains from each plan.

I just started insanity and I plan to then do heavy lifting after for another 2 months then maybe try p90x.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Heybales insanity doesnt include any lifting like p90x. I will do maintenance lifting when I begin insanity. Thanks again!