What do you do on days you don't lift?

Options
2»

Replies

• bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays - TRX Suspension Training (1hr), Core Training (20 min- I guess I will have to drop this because I will work the core on alternative days on NROLFW), Zumba (1hr)

Thursdays - Hip Hop Abs ( 35 min), Zumba (1 hr)

Fridays - before lifting - Zumba Toning (1 hr)

Saturdays - Zumba (some Saturdays I skip this..guilt free)

Am addicted to the endorphins...and I love to dance...so I will not be giving this up anytime soon :-)
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this. I, too, am addicted to the cardio endorphins, and I like not having to really care about counting everything because I've elliptical'd myself into a ridiculously huge deficit. I'm about halfway through Stage 5 right now, and I've cut the cardio way, way down due to time constraints because the workouts are so long.

A normal week during Stages 1-4:
    Monday: NROLFW, 20-30 mins cardio (the 15 mins of HIIT are included in this time)
    Tuesday: 20-30 minutes of cardio if my husband left before I did, leaving me time to squeeze it in. Sometimes it was an off day.
    Wednesday: NROLFW, 20-30 mins cardio
    Thursday: 30-45 mins of cardio
    Friday: NROLFW, 30-45 mins of cardio
    Saturday: 40 mins kickboxing dvd or off day
    Sunday: 40 mins kickboxing dvd or off day

A normal week on Stage 5
    Monday: NROLFW, doing 40-second cardio intervals between sets (jumping jacks/ jump rope, etc). I only take a fraction of the time they recommend between sets because I would be bored to death. Having something to do makes it go by faster.
    Tuesday: 30 mins cardio, IF and ONLY IF my husband is leaving early
    Wednesday: NROLFW, with the 40 second intervals
    Thursday: 30-40 mins cardio if there's nothing else going on
    Friday: NROLFW, with 40 second intervals
    Saturday: 30-40 mins cardio ONLY IF I know I'm going to lay around all day or go out to eat
    Sunday: see Saturday

So I didn't cut it out completely, but I'm doing better. I don't seem to have ballooned into some kind of beached whale due to cutting back on elliptical time, so I'm gaining confidence. Now if I could only retrain myself to show some restraint with my calories, I'd be good.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes do a HIIT workout after a lifting sessions, or 30 minutes on the eliptical on my 'off' days. I really want to get back to running properly i.e. outdoors again, but the recent change in weather has not been very encouraging!

I've always lost when I include cardio, so I'm reluctant to ditch it entirely. I also really believe in having a strong, healthy heart and there really is no way better to achieve that than doing regular cardio, imo. My resting heart rate is usually under 60 when I'm running regularly and closer to 70 when I'm not, evidence enough for me.

Also, I do like the 'safety net' of the extra calorie defecit!