Stumped for breakfast ideas

Options
Hi Yall,

Just wondering what you are eating for breakfast.
I have eggs made different ways and organic oats every now and then.
Usually morning are kinda hectic, so I need something quick - or something I can prepare the night before.

Sure Eggs are great, just not every day.

Also, I'm mainly Gluten/Dairy free.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :happy:

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Since you eat oats, this might be a good option for you: http://www.food.com/recipe/oat-and-apple-pancakes-71452

It would take some modifications, though, because it does contain a small amount of flour, and also some buttermilk. I'm sure you could substitute GF flour, though. And you could probably just soak the oats in water instead of buttermilk, though I'm not sure exactly how that will affect the flavor. I like these because they freeze well, and are a nice change from the oatmeal or yogurt that I usually have. I'm sure you could use pretty much any type of fruit. I also usually add more spices. They're tasty topped with applesauce.
  • LilRubyRocket
    Options
    Great! Thanks I will check it out. Everybody loves pancakes
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I don't do many different things for breakfast. Most of the time I do greek yogurt, some sort of cereal shredded wheat this month and a fruit. Last summer I was using the So Delicious coconut yogurt. LOVE IT! Then realized it didn't have any protein, so switched back to greek yogurt.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Today, I had a banana with 1 tbsp of a peanut/almond butter blend with flax and pumpkin seeds. I'm not sure that the PB blend is completely clean, but I think it's pretty darn close (and so good I could eat the jar with a spoon). For a snack this morning, I'll have almonds and an apple.

I love eggs, and I eat hardboiled eggs all the time - it's actually my go-to quick meal.

You could make a smoothie with fruit and almond milk/coconut milk.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been having chia pudding everyday for breakfast.

1 cup vanilla coconut milk
    3 tbsp of chia seeds (2 parts chia 1 part chia goodness cereal)
    1/2 tbsp unsweetened chocolate
    1 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
    some cinnamon.

It's my favorite. And you can make any flavour you like. I have tried pumpkin, and mango. I have some watermelon to use up, so I will be trying that tomorrow. I just throw the ingredients in an old jar, shake it up, and it's ready by the time I get to work.
  • kingscrown
    Options
    Thought this was really good for breakfast. I replaced agave nectar with 1 tsp of local honey and I add a handful of spinach.

Spiced Green Tea Smoothie

3/4 cup strong green tea, chilled
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 TBSP)
    2 teaspoons agave nectar
    1 small pear, skin on, cut into pieces
    2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
    6-8 ice cubes

Preparation
    Put all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Drink cold.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You could make a variation on the Yummy Life's refrigerator oatmeal with nondairy alternatives (coconut yogurt and coconut/almond/soy milk). It is really good.
  • LilRubyRocket
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies :)
    Some damn good ideas there
  • radiantrox
    radiantrox Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with the greek yogurt, there's a lot of variety you can do with the yogurt adding nuts, local honey, fresh/frozen fruit, even eating it with your oats. I also switch up how I make my eggs from scrambled to making quick omelettes with various veggies or protein.

You can also make a batch of gluten-free pancakes and freeze the leftovers in portioned ziploc baggies. When you're ready for a portion in the morning, nuke the portion on a paper towel in the microwave for 30 secs MAX and enjoy with maple syrup or (again) greek yogurt, or depending on what kind of pancakes you make maybe you'll top the pancakes with peanut/almond butter, or if you like savory breakfast enjoy it with egg whites or meat.

Another great option that's quick, nutritious and vegan, is drinking Shakeology. There are a bunch of recipes available for variety and enjoyment. Let me know if you'd like more info on it or great recipes for it :)

I hope this helps!
  • kingscrown
    Options
    I try and have a pancake once a week. It's a whole grain buttermilk mix. I use 1/3 cup of the pancake mix, 1 egg and enough water to make it batter consistency, Once cooked I usually serve it with 1/4 cup of applesauce, diced strawberries or whole blueberries and 1 T of boysenberry syrup. Today I had a super ripe mango that was very juicy. So, I served my pancake with just the diced mango and it's juice on top. SO GOOD!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you use any of the sprouted grain products that are gluten free but you could make up a batch of breakfast burritos and stick them in the freezer. Just use egg whites, any veggies you want and wrap up the egg mixture in a sprouted tortilla. Add a little salsa after you heat it up and you have nice balance of carbs/protein.

When you do have time to cook eggs, my favorite breakfast these days is a toasted sprouted English muffin, a poached egg, a slice of red onion, a slice of tomato and a few slices of avocado. Makes a great breakfast sandwich.

I also eat Ezekiel's sprouted whole grain cereal with unsweetened almond milk and a few raisins or the same except with steel cut oats.
  • kingscrown
    Options
    When you do have time to cook eggs, my favorite breakfast these days is a toasted sprouted English muffin, a poached egg, a slice of red onion, a slice of tomato and a few slices of avocado. Makes a great breakfast sandwich.

That sounds delicious!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious!

It does sound good!!! I am NOT a breakfast eater! I have coffee, and then do a supergreen (I use green vibrance) shake with some whey for a protein boost. I also use raw whole milk....I love my shake!
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a slouch with breakfast, it's my least favorite meal but when the weather was warmer I loved this combo

100gms plain yogurt (you can substitute with non dairy)
    1 cup blueberries
    8 raw almonds
    tbl sp Chia bran
    tbl sp dried goji berry's
    tbl sp cacao nibs
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My weekday breakfast is steel cut oats made with half water, half coconut milk. I add cardamon and vanilla essence and a scoop of natural unflavoured whey powder. (debatable as to whether this is clean, but my brand has no other ingredients other than pure whey protein and it's from grass fed, hormone free cows)
  • carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here's a new discovery: Sweet potatoes with nut butter. I usually have a few baked sweet potatoes on hand. This week I've been heating them up in the microwave for breakfast. Sprinkle of salt, some peanut butter or almond butter....so so good.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kingscrown
    Options
    Oh that's funny. Big discussion around here about cacao nibs and how we don't like them. A friend bought some on a suggestion from a coworker to put on her yogurt and fruit just like you do. We tasted them today and she gave me the bag and told me to take them away. LOL I have a recipe for Tosca Reno's power balls that calls for cacao nibs. I figure in a recipe they should be quite tasty.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love baked oatmeal. I make a big pan of it (my fav is apple, cinnamon with pecans). I cut it into 12 servings, wrap them and put them in the freezer. I just grab one and heat it up w/milk or eat it cold if I'm in a big hurry.

I also make a crustless veggie quiche (serves 4) and rotate that throughout the week.

I like to cook in bulk so I'm not tempted to grab junk when I'm hungry or in a hurry.
  • Aletaz
    Aletaz Posts: 9
    Options
    I get super bored with eggs and oatmeal, too! Today I'm having scrambled tofu with raisins. When I have time, I will also make quinoa on the side. I'm from the south so it reminds me of grits and scrambled eggs :)

I drain the tofu and add cumin, turmeric, tamari, and a few other spices. Mix with a fork until really well blended. Add raisins and sautee in light oil or Pam. One block of tofu can last for a couple of breakfast or lunch meals... I sprinkle left-overs on salad.

Hi Yall,

Just wondering what you are eating for breakfast.
    I have eggs made different ways and organic oats every now and then.
    Usually morning are kinda hectic, so I need something quick - or something I can prepare the night before.

Sure Eggs are great, just not every day.

Also, I'm mainly Gluten/Dairy free.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :happy: