GERD = Urge to eat even though you're not hungry?

Options
Jayne19099
Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
Does anyone else get the urge to eat all the time because of their GERD? I always feel like the pain in my stomach is hunger, but I know I'm not hungry because I just ate. I read online that GERD usually makes people want to stop eating. This makes me question whether my doctor is right in my diagnosis.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think I used to, but it may have been the soda that I was addicted to before I gave that up too. I always felt hungry. I still have days, usually hormonally triggered, I think, but not nearly as many. Most of the time I don't even want to eat. Logging here actually helps me remember. I want to check on my friends and then I see that I still have to eat several calories! You'll get there. Just keep working at finding your trigger foods. I started leaving a bunch of foods out until I didn't have symptoms and I've been able to slowly add some back in. I think I'm settled finally into what I can and cannot eat. Finally!
  • Jayne19099
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go on finding your trigger foods! I'm thinking about removing dairy for a little while. What were some of your trigger foods?
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know for sure that onions, fresh garlic (not powder), peppers and oranges are triggers along with sensitivities I've discovered, dairy being one, soy and gluten are others. I get other problems from these, but also they trigger my GERD. Fried food is a definite no no no eat for me!. I've happily found that tomatoes and dark chocolate in small doses are not triggers. In larger quantities they can be problematic though. Some skins of veggies, like cucumber skins seem to cause me a problem. I'm uncertain about vinegar as of yet. I haven't really tested it by itself, but it's not something I like alone anyway. I'm trusting that soda and caffeine are triggers, but again, I haven't tested these, it just makes sense to me. Processed meat does seem to be a problem as well. I found that as I started isolating food I was able to find my sensitivities. I hope some of this helps you, and others. :)
  • Jayne19099
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, I've read your post a few times now and it really is helpful. Thank you for all the advice. I've found that dairy is definitely a trigger food for me, I might have told you that before. I am working on a few others. I'm going to try peeled carrots, if that works I would be so happy because I really miss my veggies.
    Best
  • CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I tried to stay active this weekend by cleaning and I went on a long walk today. When I got home could not stop thinking about food. I ate a lot of it I should have done Pilates instead.
  • hurdlesrus
    hurdlesrus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My GERD is triggered with weight. The sweet spot for me is 174lbs. One pound over and it kicks in. I just have to stay below that weight. It's been this way for years.