Question about protien

I don't know if my food diary is private. I just started using MFP today and started Keto today as well. I am trying to do this on a 1,200 calorie diet as well. I am supposed to be at Carbs=15g, Protein=90, Fat=87 but I've gone over my protein amount and under my fat amount. I've had 1,100 calories today and my carb intake was=11g, Protien=99 and Fat=71. What in the world am I doing wrong?

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    You should consume more fat than protein. I follow a very similar eating pattern (today was a bit of a splurge, but feel free to look at my dairy - it is open), and can tell you from exp. that balancing stuff out can be tricky. Personally, I utilize a lot of mayo, and oils to get my fat intake up.

Sour cream, mayo, avocado, coconut oil, etc... are great sources of fat. Additionally, eating fattier cuts of meat help too (fish and chicken are pretty lean.)

Also, you might want to consider cutting back on all that processed meat, as sometimes they can contain sugars, and hidden carbs (which aren't good for keto.)

Edit: I am not sure at what point this happens, but I heard that if you consume too much protein it can trigger gluconeogenesis, which is pretty counter productive. I hope someone more knowledgeable about the matter drops by to give you some more insight on it.
  • MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    Okay, I found a reference here to how much protein is a bad amount:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120724721&page=1

I don't know how valid it is and I would love it if someone more knowledge could confirm or deny it. It says 1-1.5grams per # body weight. I think I read somewhere else that its by lean body weight, though. Not sure. Anything over that would throw a person out of keto.

In any case, I changed my ratios...I'm not at the 60/35/5 ratio, but when I was my protein is too high.

BTW, what do you mean by processed meats? Like deli meat?
  • Processed meat can refer to deli meat, but I think SadKitty27 was talking about sausage, salami, and things like that.They tend to have a few carbs per serving.

If you like coffee, bulletproof coffee has worked for me for fat intake. Here is the original: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I do 2 cups of coffee, 2 tbl kerrygold butter (28 grams, I weigh it), 1 tbl coconut oil. Whip it up in the blender. It's a lot like a latte. Extra points: cinnamon in with the coffee grounds. Holy moly.
  • MechanicalCritter
    This is a great idea. Thank you very much. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the amount of salami and things I am eating. Thanks for the advice!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    The other advice I would add is to increase your overall calories. I was eating at 1200 a day and stalled. Then I increased to 1500+ and have been losing more consistently. 1200 calories is really just too low and will result in your body holding on to fat to survive. I know it seems counterproductive to eat more, but starving (at 1200 calories -- even if it feels like enough food) will set you back.
  • MechanicalCritter
    The other advice I would add is to increase your overall calories. I was eating at 1200 a day and stalled. Then I increased to 1500+ and have been losing more consistently. 1200 calories is really just too low and will result in your body holding on to fat to survive. I know it seems counterproductive to eat more, but starving (at 1200 calories -- even if it feels like enough food) will set you back.

You're probably right, but I am terrified of that. I am scared of gaining the weight that I have lost back. I might try in the near future.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    eat more calories..your body will stall very quickly at this calorie point,u will also not be feeling so well from the low calories.
    it's possible to lose at a much higher amount of calories
    as for keto..macros are usually set with 70-75% fat,20-25% protein and 5-10% carbs..fat needs to be high in order for the body to switch to burning fat,otherwise the body is burning carbs as they are the easier source for the body to access.
    don't judge your losses on the number on the scale,measure your body..you want to be losing fat and not lean body mass..u want to build lean muscle and lose fat.
  • MechanicalCritter
    eat more calories..your body will stall very quickly at this calorie point,u will also not be feeling so well from the low calories.
    it's possible to lose at a much higher amount of calories
    as for keto..macros are usually set with 70-75% fat,20-25% protein and 5-10% carbs..fat needs to be high in order for the body to switch to burning fat,otherwise the body is burning carbs as they are the easier source for the body to access.
    don't judge your losses on the number on the scale,measure your body..you want to be losing fat and not lean body mass..u want to build lean muscle and lose fat.

Okay, I've upped it to 1,500 calories. Is that a good amount? Since I've started Keto, I've found it hard to eat more than 1,100 a day. I hope this works.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    You should use a calculator to determine how many calories you ought to be eating. I weigh 155 and I'm 5'5. Here si a calculator I found from a quick search. http://www.realage.com/food/personalized-calorie-count#top

Also, if you like coffee, I recommend looking into bulletproof coffee. Check out my diary; I have it every morning. That's really helped me get in more calories and more healthy fats. Plus, it tastes fantastic. I feel like I had a chocolate dessert for breakfast and I won't be hungry until close too noon.

Lastly, I would try cutting out the cheese and salami snack. I found that too much cheese was stalling me. I have a little 2 or 3 times a week, but I stopped having it as a snack. It's different for everyone, of course, but it can stall some people.
  • MechanicalCritter
    Thank am for the tips! Since I'm so new to this, I am still trying to learn ways to up my fat intake. Cheese seemed like a good way. Unfortunately, I'm between paychecks, so I'll have to wait to get better stuff. But I'll cut the salami and cheese snack out after that.
  • SadieHQ
    SadieHQ Posts: 33 Member
    Processed meat can refer to deli meat, but I think SadKitty27 was talking about sausage, salami, and things like that.They tend to have a few carbs per serving.

If you like coffee, bulletproof coffee has worked for me for fat intake. Here is the original: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I do 2 cups of coffee, 2 tbl kerrygold butter (28 grams, I weigh it), 1 tbl coconut oil. Whip it up in the blender. It's a lot like a latte. Extra points: cinnamon in with the coffee grounds. Holy moly.

sigh, I love coffee. But black. If it's like a latte I likely won't like it.

What I did today though was just add a bit of butter to a cup of beef broth. I liked that. I'm only on day two of keto though so the tips here are very helpful!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    1200 calories will result in metabolic damage. Your metabolism will slow down. Pretty much forever. :) It's practically starvation dieting, lol.

The great thing about ketogenic dieting is that it's basically tailored to our bodies to prevent overeating. sure, we still have an insulin response, but you won't be as sensitive to it and there's nothing to be stored as fat, so we stay full. I can have a big meal and then not even be hungry for a full day. I eat, to fuel my body, but I'm rarely if ever hungry in ketosis.

Don't bother counting calories at first, is my advice. Just focus on getting the 5%/30%/65% ratio down, lord knows that's enough math for me. Once you've got that down, give it a few weeks, and then you can think about trying out intermittent fasting (like Leangains) or tinkering with your macronutrient ratios.

Don't worry about having too much fat, dietary fat is REALLY HARD to turn into body fat. Like, REALLY HARD. Protein, as mentioned above if you eat too much too fast, triggers gluconeogenesis where it is literally turned into carbohydrates by your body. Not so great. Carbs, as you know, are pretty much designed as "quick fuel" and if there's too much in your body, it gets dumped into the fat stores for "slow fuel" that we use for endurance instead of sprinting.

That's the basics. You'll pick up a lot more as you keep on it.