New to strength training is my diet restricting progress?

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Hi!

We would like you to up your calories a bit so you can take full advantage of the strength training you are now including. Rather than jumping up too quickly however, we would like you to start walking them up slowly so we can get a good gauge as to what you can maintain at..

With that said, can you eat to 1,800 calories a day and set your macros at:

Protein 100g
    Fats: 50g

as minimums with the balance where you wish based on energy levels and preference. Your protein is pretty high at the moment, which is fine, but not necessary. If you are comfortable eating at that level and prefer it, then keep to that. If you are 'forcing' yourself to eat to that level of protein, then you do not have to - just get the 100g minimum. It really depends on what level you prefer eating to.

Please could you check in with us in one week so we can monitor what your weight has done and tweak as needed.
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Hi!

We would like you to up your calories a bit so you can take full advantage of the strength training you are now including. Rather than jumping up too quickly however, we would like you to start walking them up slowly so we can get a good gauge as to what you can maintain at..

Protein 100g

as minimums with the balance where you wish based on energy levels and preference. Your protein is pretty high at the moment, which is fine, but not necessary. If you are comfortable eating at that level and prefer it, then keep to that. If you are 'forcing' yourself to eat to that level of protein, then you do not have to - just get the 100g minimum. It really depends on what level you prefer eating to.

Please could you check in with us in one week so we can monitor what your weight has done and tweak as needed.

Hi Sara - so sorry I missed this completely - thank you for getting back to me re my intake.

I have been eating more over the past week or so between 1600 to one day over 1900 but last week my net average for the week was 1382 as I didn't eat all of my exercise calories back. My trainer also suggested last night to up my calories as I seem to have lost a small amount of weight since my first weigh in 4 weeks ago.

I am really happy with the amount of protein I eat - I don't find this a struggle at all and have been working on increasing my fat intake which I will aim for the suggested 50g

So do you suggest I eat at 1800 per day and not include my exercise calories within this amount? So basically eat 1800 regardless of the workouts I do?

Will of course keep you updated....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Hi!

Protein 100g

Hi Sara - so sorry I missed this completely - thank you for getting back to me re my intake.

I have been eating more over the past week or so between 1600 to one day over 1900 but last week my net average for the week was 1382 as I didn't eat all of my exercise calories back. My trainer also suggested last night to up my calories as I seem to have lost a small amount of weight since my first weigh in 4 weeks ago.

I am really happy with the amount of protein I eat - I don't find this a struggle at all and have been working on increasing my fat intake which I will aim for the suggested 50g

So do you suggest I eat at 1800 per day and not include my exercise calories within this amount? So basically eat 1800 regardless of the workouts I do?

Will of course keep you updated....

Correct. You can however vary the amounts within the week if you prefer to eat more on workout days - just aim to average the 1,800 over the week. Protein minimum should be per day, but fats (and carbs) can vary day to day.