DAILY WORKOUTS...

Options
13»

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Today, I ran my usual mile and then did the Zombies Run! 5k training. Then walked// ran a bit more for a total of 6.66 miles. Not too much but not bad. :)

That was great... 6.66 is a lot!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    With a new knee brace for the worst flaky knee, I decided to hit the weight room again to see how things held up. I was astonished at the results!

Increase in reps for ALL exercises at or a little above the last weights I had been using except:
    Leg press - keep that one down under weight due to knee problems, but boosted the reps, and BOY did I feel the BURN!
    Inclined bench - I would have upped the weight, but since everything else was upping in reps, decided to go that route on these as well. Especially since I didn't have a spotter - don't know where our floor person disappeared to, and everyone else was involved in their own workout group. (I'm brave enough to ask for a spotter, but when everyone is super busy, I back off and try not to interrupt.) Even so, I STILL pushed the "working" weight from last time through all of the reps! (And, the arms are talking about me in nasty tones tonight, too!)

What kind of knee brace are you using?? I have knee arthritis and was thinking of trying one to help with when I run..

It's a Mueller brand with the solid hinged metal lateral support. Velcros in the back, then has 4 velcro strap adjustments - two across the back of the leg (over where the neoprene brace velcros) and two more across the front to fine tune the fitting. And, the extra large actually wraps around my trunk of a leg (Thigh is in the neighborhood of 25 - 27 inches, calf is in the 18 - 19 inch range). It CAN get a little tight/uncomfortable if I don't watch it because the corners of the velcro material are still kind of sharp, but that is a small price to pay if it keeps my knee from acting up on me. And, I don't have to wear it all the time - just when I know I'm going to be pushing the joint through a range of motion it doesn't like - like squats or leg presses past parallel.

I found mine at the Big 5 store, but I'm sure any good sports store will have them too.
  • josiereside
    Options
    With a new knee brace for the worst flaky knee, I decided to hit the weight room again to see how things held up. I was astonished at the results!

Increase in reps for ALL exercises at or a little above the last weights I had been using except:
    Leg press - keep that one down under weight due to knee problems, but boosted the reps, and BOY did I feel the BURN!
    Inclined bench - I would have upped the weight, but since everything else was upping in reps, decided to go that route on these as well. Especially since I didn't have a spotter - don't know where our floor person disappeared to, and everyone else was involved in their own workout group. (I'm brave enough to ask for a spotter, but when everyone is super busy, I back off and try not to interrupt.) Even so, I STILL pushed the "working" weight from last time through all of the reps! (And, the arms are talking about me in nasty tones tonight, too!)

What kind of knee brace are you using?? I have knee arthritis and was thinking of trying one to help with when I run..

It's a Mueller brand with the solid hinged metal lateral support. Velcros in the back, then has 4 velcro strap adjustments - two across the back of the leg (over where the neoprene brace velcros) and two more across the front to fine tune the fitting. And, the extra large actually wraps around my trunk of a leg (Thigh is in the neighborhood of 25 - 27 inches, calf is in the 18 - 19 inch range). It CAN get a little tight/uncomfortable if I don't watch it because the corners of the velcro material are still kind of sharp, but that is a small price to pay if it keeps my knee from acting up on me. And, I don't have to wear it all the time - just when I know I'm going to be pushing the joint through a range of motion it doesn't like - like squats or leg presses past parallel.

I found mine at the Big 5 store, but I'm sure any good sports store will have them too.

Thanks! I will check it out but it may be too cumbersome for running...
  • josiereside
    Options
    Today is going to be a tough workout day! Got Brazil Butt Lift Cardio Axe, then High and Tight (not sure if the whole thing or just part - have to check my workout schedule) plus abs and usual dog walk! Waiting for it to warm up again!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've found that the bulk of the braces depends on a couple of factors.

1) How big your legs are to start with - and I will freely admit, mine are more like tree trunks that bend at the knee than legs. Which is why I really NEED to have the leg work under weight!

2) The style of brace you get - some have less material than others. Again, because of my size and the fact that I can't get the pull on style braces to stay put, I have to go with the maximum support. There are some others, lighter style, braces available. I'd love to have a couple of different support options, but the one I have now is the only one I've found that actually fits. Though, I DID see a band wrap - sort of like an ace wrap, but not as stretchy, at Walmart today. Debated about it, then didn't get it. Not until I can at least do body weight squats without a brace again.