New Rules and Fat Loss

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Avie, you can do anything. Burpees, treadmill, bike, elliptical, jump rope...my favorite right now is box jumps(http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=opuA4Ej2GDs&desktop_uri=/watch?v=opuA4Ej2GDs) and farmers carry just using weight plates (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4Vk-ZJ4os&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9i4Vk-ZJ4os).

Becca, I really don't think it could hurt if you feel up to it. It will give you an extra burn and benefit cardiovascular status.

Donnam, that was my first thought as well! Haha.

I wonder what some of the really experienced lifters would say to all of this....Beeps, Sara, etc.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I first started the program back in August (I took a break and restarted), I was doing 10 minutes of HIIT followed by 10 minute cool down after each work out, and that is when I saw the biggest change in my body. I'm trying to make myself get back to that, but the workouts in the later stages are so long that by the time I'm done, I'm DONE.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a promotional exercise to get people to buy the newer books - I guess this is the cynic in me!

this was my exact thoughts...why would anyone buy the new books unless they are better than the old and it is hard to sell the new books when you have so many fans of the old ones promoting them.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I also agree 1000% that fat loss is mostly about diet.
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I also agree 1000% that fat loss is mostly about diet.

True that!!!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I bought the new one on my Kindle. I may sit down and read it today...or at least skim through. I'll let you know what I think.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    I bought the new one on my Kindle. I may sit down and read it today...or at least skim through. I'll let you know what I think.

Did you buy Two Sizes or Supercharged? I picked up Supercharged from the library and havnt really read it- skimming through the program. You get the benefit of picking and designing your own workout which is great but I'm kindof lazy and like being told what to do and how many sets and reps. LoL. So I'd use his sample workouts in the book.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

Did you buy Two Sizes or Supercharged? I picked up Supercharged from the library and havnt really read it- skimming through the program. You get the benefit of picking and designing your own workout which is great but I'm kindof lazy and like being told what to do and how many sets and reps. LoL. So I'd use his sample workouts in the book.

I am using his sample workouts and getting great results. I really like it!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I bought 2 Sizes. I'm planning to get Supercharged but not on my Kindle. I want the actual book. I got NROLFW on Kindle, and it would have been so much easier to have the actual book.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Drop two sizes is a diet book..in fact the exercise routines you can do at home with just 2 dumbbells.

So it says.

I am losing fat. I am doing so by doing the NROL4W and eating at a deficit with my protein intake being pretty high.

I'm not doing the entire eat a whole lot more calories because I want to get strong and lose fat.

Once the fat is gone I may decide to build more muscle..we shall see.

I'm doubling up workouts..doing at least an hour even at stage one..I'm doing workout a and b the same day 3 times a week...

On my days off I just do active stuff..walking etc. sometimes I walk on lifting days..I like lifting.

I'm eating relatively clean but not obsessively so.

II dunno..if you want to lose fat you have to cut calories and burn more than you eat...in any plan.

There's no magic..however you will look better if you lift..I've seen enough before and after photos to see that :)

I never took NROL4W as a fat loss book...just a strenght gain/shape changing program. though it's still talked about to some degree in there.

Confusing..so the workouts down the road are very difficult? I hope so..I like to work hard at the gym!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I just finished NROLW on a slight caloric deficit. I lost about 12 lbs over 7 months and got a LOT stronger. I'm almost 42 and although i can still improve I *love* my body, maybe for the first time in my life. So even though something else might be "better"...I would absolutely still recommend this program. As an aside I love how it "made me" do things I would have thought I couldn't- and now I'm not afraid to try anything!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Confusing..so the workouts down the road are very difficult? I hope so..I like to work hard at the gym!

Yes! But you can do it and will love it!:flowerforyou:
  • emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well this is depressing since I just started and fat loss is my main goal.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Well this is depressing since I just started and fat loss is my main goal.

No, don't think like that. You may not see the scale move but you'll see inches and BF% go down. That's huge and a great way to see fat loss!!!
  • makinitcount44
    Options

I am using his sample workouts and getting great results. I really like it!

Yay!! Glad to hear it!!! I'm halfway through stage 3 of NROLFW and plan on doing 4 and 5 for sure. Then go to BT of Supercharged.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fat loss while gaining strength is my goal, too. So far, so good! I just finished Stage 1, and this thread made me doubt moving onto Stage 2, or moving onto a different program. I "have to" start tomorrow, so I needed to decide quickly! I'm sticking with NROL4W for now, because I LOVE my results so far. Really, it's been more than I even hoped for, and couldn't really see it along the way because it's so gradual.

I also joined that FB group -- I didn't know about it before! There are some great videos and tips there.

If that newer book is "just" a diet book, I'm not interested. I want to be doing something great that has the side effect of weight loss. I've already done the diet book thing, it gets old quickly.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I first started the program back in August (I took a break and restarted), I was doing 10 minutes of HIIT followed by 10 minute cool down after each work out, and that is when I saw the biggest change in my body. I'm trying to make myself get back to that, but the workouts in the later stages are so long that by the time I'm done, I'm DONE.

I'm almost done reading Supercharged and there is a section in it where he talks about how it's totally ok to STOP your workout if you are absolutely DONE. It's actually encouraged. So if you can only do 3 min of HIIT and are wiped out, stop! So...great job listening to your body!

I also agree with the whole eating thing being the main factor. I think if you're eating really well and doing any lifting program you should obtain some fat loss. You might have to take a while to figure out what specific micros you need for yourself but bottom line, you can't get fat loss if you eat like a turd. :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Beck, you made a great point. Even if you can only do a few mins of intervals it's still beneficial. I really wish I had read more about HIIT when I was doing NROL4W. It just kicks things up a notch.

CP, if you're liking the results, there's definitely no need to change!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    Don't even bother with the newer book. Two Sizes. What a waste of money. I just scanned the workout section and you really don't even lift weights except a few dumbbells and kettle balls. It's mostly TRX training. Blah. I want to squat and deadlift and bench press. I don't wan't suspension bands and resisitance bands.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Don't even bother with the newer book. Two Sizes. What a waste of money. I just scanned the workout section and you really don't even lift weights except a few dumbbells and kettle balls. It's mostly TRX training. Blah. I want to squat and deadlift and bench press. I don't wan't suspension bands and resisitance bands.

Thanks for the info!!