some thoughts as i near the end of NROL4W stage 1

Options
jamiek917
jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
1- its a good program. i like the structure

2- i wish the beginning didnt start with only 2 sets of each. i understand why they built it that way, but for someone who was already lifting, it seemed too short. however, i was drenched in sweat after every workout- so i know each one was damn good

3- for those of you just getting started, read the entire book. at the very least- its extremely informative

4- i wish i was more diligent with my calories-- i did excellent most days- but 2-3 big slip ups and a handful of days going over likely caused the lack of scale movement (I wont do my official phase 1 loss until sunday or monday, but so far its only 3ish lbs- which is likely my own fault)

5- i discovered that i can lift more on deadlifts and my form is better if i use the bar on the floor and add plates (vice the barbells that are already a certain weight when u lift them. my gym has barbells on a rack that go up to 110 lbs... but the "plates" (used quotes because they are attached) on the bar are smaller than the big plates u add to a regular bar. the extra 5 or so inches i had to bend down was making my form wacky- esp since im a deadlift newbie.

6- im skeptical about claiming certain strength gains. yes, ive gotten stronger, and yes, ive gotten better at some exercises...but the end of the phase has less reps per set. if i had done 8 reps of an exercise earlier in the program- i likely could have used a higher weight (maybe not as much as i have since i built up to it over the course of 5-6 weeks, but def higher than my starting stats).

just some of my opinions. thoughts?