Anyone gone graduated from 1st class to master?

Options
jkirby79
jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
I am finishing up the 1st class program tomorrow. I have been really happy with it thus far and definitely am seeing results.

However, I have looked ahead a little bit at the master class and it looks pretty darn tough. Week 1 ladders start out with elevated hands one-arm pushups. I can probably only do a couple. What I guess I'm trying to say is that I'm a little intimidated by the master class!

Has anyone else made the jump? Was it tougher/easier than you expected?

Thanks and I'm glad I came across the YOYAG group on here!

Replies

• jkirby79
    Options
    Wow. Please ignore my ridiculous typo in the topic.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I completed the First Class level last year, started the Master level and then just stopped (no real reason).

I was getting really good results (you can view my blog if you want, link is in the "story" thread).

I recently began doing the Master level again; tomorrow will be Week 1, Day 4. The key to starting the Master level is being able to pass the minimum requirements test. Click on the "i" button on the Master level button for the minimums (if you have not already done this). If you cannot do the requires one armed push ups, one legged squats, pull ups (with pauses) and/or the static push up position all consecutively, then you may need to repeat some of the First Class to build up more strength to get you there.

On the other hand, if you can meet the minimum requirements, then I would got for it!!

Just don't be like me and stop all together. When I was doing workouts regularly I was able hold a static push up position for longer than 5 minutes, hold a one hand static push up position for 2 minutes with each arm, do full one armed push ups on the ground, perform semi planch push ups, was almost able to perform pistols, and so on. Then, for no real good reason, I stopped. And now, I have lost a lot of the strength I had gained. I was barely able to hold the static push up position for the required 3 minutes.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Bah, I still don't even meet the requirements for first class yet I completed it xD Stupid let me ups with straight legs, my body does not compute with the logistics of that move >_<

I'm not planning on switching just yet, and I have a feeling if I ever come back to it, I'll have to redo the undulating block of First class before I can even begin Master Class. Doing another program in the mean time. We'll see where I'm at after that!
  • jkirby79
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for responding.

I just found the minimum requirements for the Master Class and I already know I'm not yet up to snuff. I can only do 2 out of the 5 required pullups (couldn't do any a month ago) and the one-armed pushups are iffy.

I also completed the First Class routine without being able to do 10 let-me-ups beforehand. Those are tough for me but I'm really working on those in addition to a pullup routine.

Probably what I will do is go back to weeks 7-10 of the First Class level. I really like the alternating workouts and stappers/tabatas kick my butt in a good way. I love how the program keeps me a little sore throughout. It lets me know I'm working the same muscles in slightly different ways each time.

EPICSRT, I am looking forward to following your blog and see how you progress through the Master level.
  • jkirby79
    Options
    Well, I tried doing elevated one-armed pushups and they were not as impossible as I had imagined. So I went ahead and did the first day of the Master Class...

It was way more challenging for me than any day of the 1st Class program. Also, the book makes it sound like ladders should be easy (high reps, low intensity), but I always find them exhausting.

I started my workout by doing 3 sets to exhaustion of chin ups on the bar. I managed 6, 5, 4. Then I did the Master workout. I finished with 5 minutes of ab exercises. I am pooped!
  • EPICSRT
    Options
    Glad to hear that you moved on. I have to ask, are you using the YAYOG phone app?
  • jkirby79
    Options
    I have the book but have not purchased the app yet.

A lot of people seem to enjoy the exercise timer on the app but I have been using this simple internet timer and it really works for me.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/interval-timer/

I think what I would like most about the app is how they use videos to demonstrate all the exercises. Sometimes it's not exactly clear how to do them just by using the descriptions and pictures in the book.

Do you find the app really helpful?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I think what I would like most about the app is how they use videos to demonstrate all the exercises. Sometimes it's not exactly clear how to do them just by using the descriptions and pictures in the book.

Do you find the app really helpful?

I haven't found that feature in the app. There are a lot of youtube videos though, and I've found those to be helpful.

My lower body is ready for master class. I doubt that my upper body will ever be ready.
  • EPICSRT
    Options
    The iPhone app does have short videos for every exercise. If you have the iPhone I would highly recommend the app. If I remember correctly, exercises in the book versus the app are a little different and I think the updated app is in theory an update to the YAYOG 10 week workouts.

To me, the $3 for the app is more than worth it for what you get. In addition to the four 10 week programs you also get a "quick workouts" section that is comprised of tabatas and all you have to do is select what level you want and how long you want to workout for and it will provide the exercises. You can also create your own workouts and view each of various exercises.

I am not sure about the droid platform, but either way, BUY THE APP! It also works on the iPad too (workouts don't sync across devices though)

I bought the ebook before I started and to me, that was a waist of money (even though it did provide useful information) when compared to the app.
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Droid app is just as great. I do like using the ipad cause the buttons are bigger and my toddler can "help" by pushing the big red button. Well worth the $3. I don't think we'd have stuck to the program so well without it.