Cold Cut alternatives

Options
dcinthesummer
dcinthesummer Posts: 55 Member
Hi all! I am nursing a beautiful baby girl and although I ate Applegate cold cuts while pregnant, I want to cut down on my sodium intake and still satisfy my cold cut cravings. I do not eat soy products but am open to all other suggestions. I am craving hero sandwiches every day!

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I buy Boarshead low sodium deli meat. All of their white meats and roast beef are nitrate free with no additives or fillers. It may not be 100% clean but if giving up sandwiches is hard for you, that's an option.

I also make tuna salad with organic mustard and Greek yogurt which is surprisingly good :)

I like sandwiches too so have switched to all the sprouted grain bread products so I can keep them in my diet.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know what a hero sandwich is so I might be off the mark with my suggestion. What about poached chicken breast. I cut a small breast length ways in to 3 pieces and let it poach in stock with garlic, shallots bay leaves (what I feel like). I do it the lazy way - I bring my stock ;with what ever in it , up to the boil then switch it off put the raw chicken in and put the lid on it. It take about 25 mins but won't over cook so I often leave it longer. Cold on sandwiches it's great and you can control your sodium by using low salt stock.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I buy Boarshead low sodium deli meat. All of their white meats and roast beef are nitrate free with no additives or fillers. It may not be 100% clean but if giving up sandwiches is hard for you, that's an option.

I also make tuna salad with organic mustard and Greek yogurt which is surprisingly good :)

I like sandwiches too so have switched to all the sprouted grain bread products so I can keep them in my diet.
    ^^^ this for convienence
    and I also agree with Lilly for a poached chicken breast option.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You could also cook a turkey breast in a crock pot and slice it for sandwiches - you can even cook it overnight so that it's ready to go in the morning.

ETA: Also, make extra chicken, turkey, or whatever other lean meat you are eating for dinner and use it the next day for sandwiches.

You can also make yummy veggie sandwiches - load the bread with hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and any other veggies that you love.