questioning my goal

Options
Lisha_R
Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
When I first started in August of last year my goal was to get down to 160lbs which is a normal BMI. I was 265lbs so that was 105lbs total loss goal. I have no idea what my BF% was at that time. I had it tested a few weeks later and it was 44%. I have since lost 60lbs and have a BF% of 30%. Now I wonder if my goal should be a BF% of 23-25%. If my lean muscle stays the same I will be at 25% body fat at around 189lbs. 23% will be 180. This seems like a lot of weight. My lean body mass is 142lbs.

I am staying on plan 20% cut from my TDEE for lightly active. I just wonder if I should change my goal from BMI to BF%. Body fat percentage just seem healthier. It seems strange that I could have a BF% of 20% and have an obese BMI. BMI does not take into account lean muscle mass.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    BF% is a good goal. It really doesn't matter what you weigh.

Having said that, your lean body mass of 142 lbs... was that before or after losing 60 lbs? When I lost 60 lbs, 13 of it was lean. Last year when I lost 36, I lost another 5 lbs lean. If it was before the loss I recommend you get it tested again.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No this is what I have right now. I had lean body mass of 148 before with my . So if the calculations are correct I have lost 6lbs of lean body mass with my weight loss.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    No this is what I have right now. I had lean body mass of 148 before with my . So if the calculations are correct I have lost 6lbs of lean body mass with my weight loss.

That is awesome! Great job :) Then yeah, you don't want to get to a healthy BMI... you'd have to lose muscle to do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, LBM is ALL non fat stuff, which includes water as main component, and muscle mass, ect.

Even fat cells have some water in them - so you have to lose some LBM if you lose fat, though the cells in fact remain.
    If you have less body volume, you need less blood - so you will lose some LBM.

While LBM and not muscle mass is determining factor for metabolism, it will go do down, and you could retain ALL your muscle mass.

I thinks there are a lot of apples and oranges conversations regarding those terms.

And there is no such thing as lean muscle mass, another term sometimes thrown around, unless you are buying meat to eat and want a lean or fat cut.
    Pumped up body builders don't have muscle full of fat to get that effect.
    If anything, endurance cardio trains the body to store more fat in the muscle for faster access, but more carbs too and that with water takes up more space.

You can have a realistic goal weight under your current LBM.
    You can lose LBM and retain all muscle mass.
    You may have muscle mass where you neither will want it or need it when at goal weight.