Transformation, the biggest question, to bulk or cut

Options
ltfletcher25
ltfletcher25 Posts: 2 Member
Since Thanksgiving I have been motivated and training hard. My goal is to compete in an all natural show next spring. I am 6'2" and have always been on the heavier side but hide it well since I have a big Frame. I started at 265 and am now down to 228lbs. I am finally getting a tight waist for the first time in my life and seeing actual definition throughout my body even my upper legs which is awesome for me. Can anyone give me an Idea of an ideal weight to stay at and when I should start bulking up again. I lift heavy and have been cutting which is good i havnt lost too much size. I although have lost a lot of fat. Should i still be working on burning fat and and getting lean throughout the summer? I was planning on bulking up in the fall and gaining weight before a training cut before a show.

Thoughts? I appreciate any advice I can get from an experienced body builder.

Replies

• FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is this your first show?
    WHAT IS YOUR BODY FAT PERCENTAGE you said you weigh 228. If it's your first time I wouldn't be to concerned about your ideal weight. You would have no idea what you look like at certain body fat percentages.
    Do you know your current macros that you are eating?
    If you started in November you have been lifting for only five months then?
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There are different opinions on this, but here is the document I generally refer to for the bulk/cut questions.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Answering gordoncat's questions are also important for more specific responses.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There are different opinions on this, but here is the document I generally refer to for the bulk/cut questions.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Answering gordoncat's questions are also important for more specific responses.

That article has the same central problem that all "don't bulk!!!" type articles have.

Any calorie surplus for the purposes of gaining muscle mass is bulking. A 100 calorie surplus is bulking, a 1000 calorie surplus is bulking.

Until there is a widely accepted completely different name for a small-moderate calorie surplus, articles like that one just seem silly. Don't bulk so fast is a better premise than don't bulk.

On the other end of the spectrum, and not really discussed, is the bodies ability to adapt to a small surplus and do its preferred thing, maintain status quo. Small surpluses can be just as ineffective as huge ones.

To the OP - there is no reason not to cut down to (and somewhat past) flexed abs first. As you approach unflexed abs though, having been dieting a long time makes it more difficult. If you have the time and aren't in a hurry, a short moderate rate bulk or two as you cut through the low teens can really help to make the cut easier and protect your muscles/metabolism. Just cut further with every cut. If you don't go crazy, a short moderate rate bulk will have small enough fat gain that it doesn't take but a couple weeks to cut off. As you get leaner, cutting becomes harder and harder after the first month.
  • PhatBassTurd
    PhatBassTurd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This depends on if you care more about looking good this summer or doing well in the show. Choose one.